Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Left Handed Holster

Nebraskan

Made the mistake of going to my first match last weekend :D Anyway, I have been looking for an inexpensive holster to get me by the first few matches until I decide what gun to buy for real. All I have now is a Ruger P89 that I bought 10 years ago solely because of the ambi-mag release and decock, as I am a lefty. In any case, in looking for a Kydex holster in left hand, (Uncle Mike's, etc) I'm not finding anything. I don't want to pay a bunch for something that I am going to throw away in a few months.

Any suggestions?

Not really an answer for about the holster but just wanted to let you know you can hit the mag release with your trigger finger. I'm not sure about your Ruger, but on 1911 style guns just use your trigger finger.

As far as holsters go just buy the cheapest you can find. If it doesn't fit perfectly thats fine as long as its safe(I'm speaking more on the cheapo nylon holsters). I don't know of any holsters made for your gun, probably because I have never looked for one.

Flyin40

I agree, I am left handed and I shoot both 1911's and Glocks by using my left middle finger to actuate the mag release.

I know you were looking for cheap Kydex gear, but I have a suggestion for when you jump in with both feet. If you are going to run a 1911 or STI/SV variant, check this link at Safariland.

http://www.holsters.com/closeouts/model012-closeouts.asp

They are great holsters and they are only available in left handed. $79 for a holster which usually cost $200+. Can't beat that with a stick, and if you don't like the color, just paint it.

Good Luck, LEFTIES UNITE!

I agree, I am left handed and I shoot both 1911's and Glocks by using my left middle finger to actuate the mag release.

I know you were looking for cheap Kydex gear, but I have a suggestion for when you jump in with both feet. If you are going to run a 1911 or STI/SV variant, check this link at Safariland.

They are great holsters and they are only available in left handed. $79 for a holster which usually cost $200+. Can't beat that with a stick, and if you don't like the color, just paint it.

Nebraskan,

What direction are you leaning to as far as a pistol selection? The Safariland closeout above sounds like a great deal if you think you will go with a 1911 or CZ format.

To meet your immediate needs, you may in a better shape with a basic nylon holster from Uncle Mikes or any other maker for a large frame pistol. You will also be able to use a generic holster when trying out a different gun in the future.

If you want Kydex, you might also look into Talon Tactical. They may be able to create a "right minded" holster for you for a reasonable price.

+1 on Interceptors comment. I too bought one of those left handed holsters for $80 and couldn't be happier. It's not very often that a lefty actually gets a holster for less than the righties of the world. I am actually thinking of buying a second one to have as a spare.

-Cuz.