Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kinetic Bullet Puller Problem

vincent

I was trying to pull a bullet on one of my 38 Super cartridges this weekend and could not get it to work worth a darn. It is the Dillon kinetic bullet puller. I have 3 parts - the main large plastic "hammer part, the small collet that holds the bullet, and the cap that holds the collet in place on the end of the "hammer". Am I missing something? When assembled I can push the bullet out of the collet with medium finger pressure. How is this thing supposed to hold a bullet tight enough to deal with smacking it on the bench. I tried it several times with no luck. What gives?

Doh! I just called Dillon to see if I was missing a piece and it turns out I was not using the puller correctly. I didn't realize the collet was made to hold the case in the extractor groove. I mistakenly thought it was supposed to grip the bullet. I'll try it the correct way this evening and see if I have better luck.

Vincent,

you've got the collet turned in the correct direction and trapped in the rounds extractor groove? If so, I con only think wrong size collet or weak rubber band holding collet together....

Obviously I stopped reading your post after the first paragraph.....

The collet has a 'Dome' and a flat side = the rim of the round sets up and out on the Dome Side. Rim and dome out ...flat side in screw cap tight and give it a 'Sharp' wack.

if you are hitting a 2x4 pine wood block it should make a dent in the wood as deep as a dime in the center. 'allmost ' = depends on how hard the wood is. If you hit a hard wood desk it will dent the hard wood. I have a hocky puck and it is all marked up I hit it on the edge now. If you have the round in corectly = dome side up just wack the thing like you are trying to break it.

If you ever driven a roofing nail= thats about how hard you would hit it.

Edited by AlamoShooter

If you almost never need to pull a bullet, just do like I do and throw the thing away....those bullet pullers are a pain to use, slow and what is one bullet, case, primer and 10 gr of powder worth...not as much as the time it takes me to find the puller, get it set up, pull the bullet, empty the thing and put it away....

my opinion... :)

From experience... USE EYE PROTECTION when pulling bullets w/ a kinetic puller. Nothings quite as much fun as having one explode in front of your face... (cause the plastic cap broke.... not because the round detonated)...

Vincent,

Take my advice.

Get your self a collet style bullet puller and trash the kinetic.

The kinetic is tedious and takes forever if you have to pull bullets in any quantity.

If you have a press that will handle it, (preferably single stage) you will be a much happier man.

Tls

Edited by tlshores

It is possible to use a standard shell holder instead of the collet thing..Not that much slower and a bit easier to use..

Place loaded round in shell holder and insert into puller body ,screw on the cap and pound away..

From experience... USE EYE PROTECTION when pulling bullets w/ a kinetic puller. Nothings quite as much fun as having one explode in front of your face... (cause the plastic cap broke.... not because the round detonated)...

I open the side door to my garage and reach around the door so the door is between me and the kinetic puller, then whack the puller on the sidewalk...Just in case.

For one or two rounds the kinetic is much faster, more than 2 and I'll use the collet puller.

Nolan

Throw that plastic piece of !@#$%^&*( away.

Then get a collet style deal.Midway has a few and get a cheat single stage press dedicated to that.

It can save you if you load a bad batch of ammo, this is a draw back to souping up our dillons to crank out alot of quick rounds.

Edited by a-44978

• 3 weeks later...
It is possible to use a standard shell holder instead of the collet thing..Not that much slower and a bit easier to use..

Place loaded round in shell holder and insert into puller body ,screw on the cap and pound away..

Yes, it is possible and folks do that(I have), BUT, the the shell holder does not tightly grasp the round as well as the collets so some force is loss due to the looseness. I've found it works, but not as well.

Bronson7