Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range Bag At Match?

LawDog101

I know this has been covered before some time back, but I wanted to confirm a few things.

For my Beretta 92fs (which has a ton of rounds through it), any spares that I need? It has never failed to fire and only had two feed jams in tons of rounds. I keep a basic cleaning kit, oil, etc. with me at all times. Anything else for the gun?

Personal items? Got a monster box of band-aids (I usually need one or two), athletic tape, knee/elbow pads, etc. Any other items of importance?

This site is great. Really a lot of good information to get me ready for my first match.

James

I think there's a thread out here that describes what everyone has in their bags - it basically varies on a person to person basis... :) Whatever you need and can fit, really.

In my bag, I keep gun, ammo, ear muffs and foam plugs, a modest tool kit, cleaning kit, SlideGlide Lite, oil, JP Trigger Prep, a couple extra springs, and other spare parts, ProGrip, mag cleaning brushes, pens, band-aids, a small bottle of saline solution and two spare contacts, Advil, food for the day, drinks, batteries, etc...

I run two bags too.

One bag has the gear I wear; both belts, muffs plus the essential practice stuff like pasters and a stapler along witha 200' tape measure.

The other is smaller that has just enough stuff to shoot stages.

It carries mags, batteries, glasses, some tools and ammo.

If you think you might need it take it.

At least the first time.

FM

The 2 bag technique is the way to go IMHO.

It's too easy to fill a Shooters Connection bag to the top and struggle like a pack mule with the weight. Can't be good for your performance - I know it wasn't for mine :(

My new SC bag is set up for matches. The older one has everything for practice (timer, stapler, etc) plus my wife's rig, mags, and ammo. At a match my wife puts her mags and ammo in a smaller 3rd bag and we leave the practice items, spare parts, slide-glide, etc.. in the vehicle. At the end of the match both our bags are almost empty. I use the 2 large outer pouches on the side of the bag for nothing but score sheets, so it's pretty stripped down.

While I was willing to carry everything, I'm really glad to be rid of her eleven loaded 10 round .45 mags + 100 rounds of ammo. We believe in a lot of loaded mags. I carry ten 21 round Para mags + 100 rounds of spare ammo myself, so it adds up quick. I also leave 100 rounds for each of us in the "vehicle bag". It may sound kind of heavy, but without the timer, parts, etc, the bags are not heavy enough to matter once we get geared up, stick some mags in pouches, and hit the safety area to holster the guns.

Speaking of that 3rd bag...I really wish Chuck would sell that new inner bag with the mag pouches separately... <_<

A person can cram a heck of a lot of unnecessary stuff in even a small range bag, so it does take some effort to keep the weight down.

Keep your food in a separate container, maybe leave it in the car. It's something that you are not going to need going from stage to stage and more importantly, keep it separated from that lead contaminated range bag.

Also, do take some sanitary wipes with your food container... in case there is no water to wash your hands before eating.

I observed a match last Saturday. There was a fellow there with a cart like this. Had all of his and his buddy's gear on it.

Cart

For myself I think a wagon would work just as well and be cheaper

Wagon

I have been insearch of a wagon too but all of the wheels have been to small in diameter to roll across our range easily. And they are way lower than a range table making it hard to work on your stuff.

And then you have to transport it to the range.

Load it up at home unload it at the range load it up again and unload it when you get home.

but I'm thinking of a garden wagon not a Radio Flyer

Too much work, but it is a fun idea

Let's see self propelled with an umbrella, table, laptop...

FM :P

Edited by Front Man

I was in Lowe's yesterday and saw a freestanding display in the seasonal section. It held carts that are the size of those 18"x18" plastic storage cubes except that they are collapsible. Folded down to about the thickness of a Miami phone book. Had a telecoping handle. I think they were about $25.