Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tempted  Hard by the Dark Side

twix

Oh my. My pal and I have been laboring all year to perfect our accuracy and speed with our Glocks (with some success). Another buddy brought over a P14-45 LDA. It was so EASY toshoot accurately for me and my pal. He's allready bought his P16-40 Limited, I'm supposed to shoot it tomorrow. This session may be followed by a trip to my favorite gun shop. Anybody want to talk me out of trading in my G34?

Twix,

I think it is about time you gave us your life story.

How long have you been shooting?

How much competition experiemce yuo have?

Your shooting goals?

Your budget?

Do you reload?

Whatever else you can think of.

We certainly don't have enough info to be telling you where to spend your $700 - $2000.  For example, if you don't reload, then a SVI might not be the gun for you...

Flex, I was born a poor black child... (just kidding, that's from an old Steve Martin movie). Became interested in handguns for personal defense about three years ago (grew up hunting with shotguns and rifles). Practicing for PD all the time seemed kind of limiting, last December I attended my first IPSC match(I had to borrow the spousal unit's G19 to shoot it). It was alot of fun, but it was the last match of the season so I had all winter to think about it. Decided I would need to start reloading if I wanted to pursue this sport, but also came up with the idea that it may not be a bad idea to shoot my carry gun for a year while I learned the game. So, I shot about 6 matches with a G26, practiced alot, and now have and use a Dillion 650. Nobody is frightened when they see me show up at a match, but I am confident of my loader and very confident of my PD when the 26 is at hand. I recently bought a G34 (because I'm so cheap I'll even reload 9's). Today after shooting my pal's new Para, I'm thinking a little like Matt CGR= maybe I'll just wait until I can afford the SVI. This IPSC stuff is addicting.Thanks for asking Kyle. PS I'm not a youngster, got the wife/kids/ mortgage/et al.  PS2 Probably the most important part-goals-I'm so new at this I would be thrilled to make "A" in some class, I know eventually I would like to be shooting 100mph Limited or open because it looks like so much fun. I also hope to bring along as many of my family as I can (I HAVE brought two new shooters to matches BTW, one has stuck and I think the other will be back too). Sorry so long, but you DID ask. :)

Why is it important to reload for an SVI ? Also would you consider an SVI a competition only gun ?

Quote: from Flexmoney on 9:33 am on Dec. 22, 2001

Twix,

I think it is about time you gave us your life story.

How long have you been shooting?

How much competition experiemce yuo have?

Your shooting goals?

Your budget?

Do you reload?

Whatever else you can think of.

We certainly don't have enough info to be telling you where to spend
your
$700 - $2000.  For example, if you don't reload, then a SVI might not be the gun for you...

My first "IPSC gun" was a P-14-Limited.  I regreted that purshase almost instantly!  

If I were to do it again, I'd save my $ for an STI or SV in .40.  

(It's too bad Springfield doesn't make their "Loaded" high-cap in .40)

Anyway, the Glock will work.  Ya so it doesn't have the crisp trigger that 1911s have.  Shooting the Glock and staying competetive means you'll need to focus on other aspects of the game.  Efficiency (footwork, reloads, planning your strategy) is the key to winning matches, not the crispness of your trigger.

If you get all the skills down, then transitioning to the 1911 could tweak your scores up a little.

Guns don't kill scores, people do!

(Edited by TDean at 8:12 am on Dec. 23, 2001)

talon,

I'll try to keep this short.  I am in no way the person to ask about this.  I will be happy to share my opinion.  That is what forums are all about.

Yes, I would consider the SVI a competition only gun...at least in the configuration that we are likely to see as IPSC shooters.  The same can be said for many (if not most) guns shot in IPSC competiton.  Including Glocks.  

---------

On the other question...from what I understand, the SV guns are made to run with a cartridge overall length that is longer than factory box ammo.

TDean, i don't know that the 1911's will tweak your scores. i know that there are a lot of sti's sv' and para's that work great but it seems to me that at our club and around the area that they seem to have thier share of problems. anything you might loose because of the trigger (don't see it myself) you'll get back with a smooth working gun if you leave it stock or close to it.

I shoot a P16 in Limited. I have had zero problems with the P16. I also have a P14 that I used to shoot in Limited before buying the P16 (for 40 and the higher capacity). I recently purchased a used STI 45 ACP Limited pistol and it is very nice but I see no real advantage to this STI 45 over the P14.

I disagree with the negative posts concerning the Paras. I think they are great competition pistols for the money. However, if money was no object, I would shoot a STI/SV fully  tricked out for Limited and/or Open.

However, for 99% of shooters, money is a very big concern.

I got to shoot 50 rounds through my friends new Para P1640 a couple days ago. I liked it, but I think I may be as well served to shoot production with the G34 this year. I sure don't see where a little lighter, tighter trigger would hurt. I forgot to add to my "life story" post that I bought Brian Enos' book, and it's great. Wish I would have bought it sooner.

just a note as it seems i inadvertantly started this string,,,being even poorer than the ' poor black child '  above,  i bought the 16-40 limited because i couldn't believe how much better i shot the double stack 1911 frame compared to my g-19,,,( that i had been working with all summer!!!),,,i just recently started following this forum and i really like it,,,i wish i had the cash to play with the big dogs and the sv, sti's,,,like twix i would love to play that game,,,but i'm happy with the para for now,,,i've learned alot about some things i want to do to it here and i've got lots more to learn,,,i may regret not waiting to get an sv, sti later,,,but right now i'm just jazzed about getting to shoot the para for next years matches,,,

oh this is the glock forum,,,i considered trading my g-19 in on the para,,,couldn't do it!!!,,,i may shoot the para better but i love the 19!!!