Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wst Powder For .40 Ipsc

BamBam

Looking to make an IPSC load 170pf using WST powder, .40 cal, and 180 grain jacketed hollow-point zero bullets, out of a 5" barrel STI.

How many grains do I need? Also need to know your OAL specific to the load.

Reaching out to the combined Enos data pool.....

5.0 grains gave me 166 power factor in my glock 22 at area 4 last year.

that was with 185 precisions loaded to 1.135 oal.

if your gonna load to 1.200 or longer your gonnna need more powder.

to me WST is asking for trouble(166 at the 100 degree match, 170 power factor at my house in the 77 degree morning)

i only load wst in low power lead bullet loads now...especially after seeing a STI eject two peices of brass a couple of times*case head seperations*

Several of the guys in my area use it. I worked up some loads to try it out. It was the softest shooting powder of the three I've tried (Titegroup, N320, WST). In my gun, it was also the dirtiest - leaving corn meal all around the ejection port. I chose the clean, almost as soft, N320 - Titegroup would work just fine for me, as well.

BTW - this is loaded to 1.180" for SS Trojan in .40.

Hey XRe -

When you came up with that shoft shooting WST load at 1.180" in the SSTrojan, what were the bullets and what was the powder charge & PF ??

Between that and the info from Intel6, I think I'll be is business.

• 2 weeks later...
Precision Bullet, 185gr, 5.1gr WST, .421 crimp (have since moved to .420 crimp...) == 170PF. 4.7 was 165PF, 4.9 was 169.1.

Just curious, is ".421 crimp" the outside case mouth dimensions after the crimp? If so, wouldn't this change with case wall thickness?

It is, in fact, the outside dimension of the very lip of the rim, post-crimping. That dimension won't change with case wall thickness (though the pressure exerted on the bullet might). It *will* change with case length differences. Both of these things are true for basically any pistol case.

I measured several different brands of .40 cases and found them all to be pretty darn close, so... For anything but shooting really tight groups at long range, I don't think there's much to be concerned about... ;)

• 3 months later...

In my Schumann barrelled Para the other day, Berry 180 grain bullet and Federal magnum primers, 75 deg F and sunny......

5 grains WST = 1021.53 average FPS, 183.8 PF

5.5 grains WST= 1033.90 average FPS, 186.1 PF

Plan to drop the charge down and try it again tomorrow.