Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I just recently had a baby and I'm looking to keep some pictures online so that the Family and Friends can jump online and see them at will. I would also like to keep movies on there not over 10 meg. I have a vague idea of how web hosting works but I'm not for sure enough. I was thinking of starting an FTP service (my computer is always on anyways) but it would be easier to just pass out an web addy instead of FTP'ing. I've been looking and have found a few places but just wanted to see what everybody likes. I have a Photobucket account for the pics but they don't host movies. I don't really want to design a webpage so even if it's a white screen with folder access that is fine by me. Thanks for the help.

JOe

GoDaddy has free, ad supported, hosting with the purchase, transfer or renewal of your domain name. The downside is that you don't get much space (50mb), there is an ad banner at the top of your site and you have to use their templates to design your site.

For less than $50 per year, domain name included, you can get an Economy hosting account that gives you 5gb of disk space, ftp access, and more e-mail accounts than you can shake a stick at (if you are the stick shaking type).

-ld

There are several sources for free or inexpensive web space. I use truepath.com which is a Christian based company. I have had the account for years. I used to use the free service but now pay, like, $15 a year because the free space had pop-up advertising and I didn't like that. Their service has been impeccable and I have never run out of space for my purposes.

Lunarpages.com is the best deal on the internet.

7.95 a month with FREE Domain Name For Life

Up To 3000 Megabytes Storage

400 Gigabytes Data Transfer

E-Commerce

JSP & ASP Available

Blog, Forum & Photo Gallery

Microsoft® FrontPage Compatible

Spam Protection

Plus All the email you can eat.

For our comanys web site it has in the past 5 years only been down about 4hrs one day and about every year only down about 2 or 3 hours total.

They claim they host something like 10,000 web sites.

For me they are great. for only 8 buck a month and you could host a huge web site on it.

Scott P

Just one caution on the free or low-cost hosting places: when you pick the domain name for your site, many of them will register the name to *themselves*, not you, which means you won't be able to transfer the name in the future if you decide you don't like their service.