Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Illegal / Legal Guns Or Mags

AlamoShooter

Let say are taulking guns at the range and someone has 'Illegal' mags and or the gunis not Legal. That allways has a catch in my brain. No one is braking any Laws, just rules for one organization. Cant we find a word that fits the rule violation better?

Better than... LEGAL ..?? Seams like I hear Legal ten times a day at the range durring a shoot. You need to get a look at the faces of the people watching.

:o !Thats not legal, you cant do that! = :wacko: some one touched a target before it was scored in a small monthly match. I hear that not Legal & I start looking for a full Auto minny gun with armor piercing tracers.

Is it just me? are my thoughts 'Legal' for IPSC ? or just Outlaw Is it Legal to question the use of legal, seams like a strong word for a game.

So if I put my +2 Dawson base pads on my post ban 170 mags will Jannet Reno burn a tatto on my arm? and will I have to ware a traking bracelet for the police? If I have an ambiedextrous mag release on my 1911 will I get burned at the stake or does the gun just not fit into the rules? :o

Great post. I have struggled with this for years selling the things. I have a problem calling them legal or illegal. I tend to say within or not within the rules.

Lets see. "I can sell you a plus 2 base pad on a 140 mag in limited but it would be illegal , I will sell it to you if you want it though" So I am selling contraband!

Hows this-" A plus 1 base pad on a 140 mag in limted is within the rules while the plus 2 would not be within the rules as far as overall mag length is concerned."

If somebody outside the sport heard some of us talking that somebody had illegal mags it just doesnt portray us in a good light.

not a bad point, it's all in the marketing.

How about "non-approved" or "non-compliant"

Within the rules - Not within the rules...

Does seem a little more "PC." :)

Edited to add.."contravene the "whatever" rules".. Yea, that's getting there also.. ;)

Edited by Merlin Orr

!Wow! ..Division Compliant.. I like that ...Thanks!

I never even thought of it much as a marketing problem, but yes it is. lets say a Dad brings his 13 year old to the range with Mom to get ready to shoot the matches. The mother isn't quite shurr what she dosn't like about it, but that would push her over the edge to say no.

The Kid thinks hummm Dad's friends do illegal things and have Illegal things, so why limit my friends to the ones that only do and have "legal" actions.

I didn't even think about guys like Chuck selling guns and parts.

I see that with in a few hours several very good alternat 'words',..Division Compliant =I wont to use that one.

One word ... If we had one word we could replace legal with that would be cool. No not the word cool, just it would be cool if we had a replacment word

Pat.. if we used Cool or non-cool ... They...would put us in the SR. divition right away

and in 30+ years I have not used a beter word than cool... B) sweet... just is not as good.

Thanks for the help

Jamie

Allowed?

VS

Not Allowed?

Approved

VS

Un-Approved?

Compliant?

VS

Non-Compliant?

Any pair here works and truthfully would make us sound better without any sacrifice.

Action shooting is easier to explain than Practical and certianly does not raise the eyebrows that "Combat Shooting" would

It is just too bad that the hoplophobes have so much sway in the real world.

Jim

Edited by Jim Norman

[quote name='Jim Norman' date='Jan 20 2006, 11:02 AM' post='363396']

Allowed?

VS

Not Allowed?

Approved

VS

Un-Approved?

Compliant?

VS

Non-Compliant?

Any pair here works and truthfully would make us sound better without any sacrifice.

Action shooting is easier to explain than Practical and certianly does not raise the eyebrows that "Combat Shooting" would

It is just too bad that the hoplophobes have so much sway in the real world.

Jim

I agree Jim with it all and I did not /do not realy care like I should about being Politically correct. The use of legal in regards to our equipment ...Feels wrong, I do like Compliant, though. This toy, that toy is !Non Compliant!

One thing I thought of too is what if a news crew / reporter comes to cover a match like = the DT shoot or Space city ?on every stage your going to hear shooters saying somthing about somthing being ...legal.? We as shooters may be creatting our own problem?

As simple as it gets, PLUS it's "tactical"!

GO

NO/GO

Kind of hard to work into a sentence though...

I do agree that "legal" and "illegal" are words that may just verify what a lot of folks have heard about shooters.

My wife thought we were all a bunch of rednecks named Bubba until she came to a match. I kept telling her that rednecks named Bubba can't afford the sport.

Come to think of it, I believe she was insulting me! Next time I load her match ammo I'll have to accidentally forget primers and powder in a few... What else can you expect from a redneck?