Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nroi Certification

standles

Ok.

I am steaadily marching on towards starting up a club in my area. I shot USPSA in late 90's and have started back now along with IDPA.

I am going to need RO's for my local club. Is level I NROI Certification desired/needed for them/me?

Reason I ask is on the NROI website there aren't any classes in our area. I can schedule one at a local club but finding 20 shooters and such is going to be difficult.

Are most local clubs just ro'd by folks that have rules knowledge and the certification done only if you want to RO/CRO area/regional/national matches?

Steven

Get the NROI training, it's worth it.

We use some none NROI trained RO's and end up having inconsistent calls, wrong start commands, poor stage designs. It's on-the-job training and gets frustrating at times.

Just my observations and feelings.

barry B)

+1 !!!

When we started our club, our goal was to have 100% of our members and RO's at least Level 1 certified. We have reached that goal with many continuing on for the CRO cert.

Not only does it add consistency, it provides the knowlege to improve playing the game, as well.

Contact USPSA and ask about scheduling a seminar. There is a fee but it is nominal and worth it.

However,after your first year as a sanctioned club, the club can schedule a free NROI seminar, if the number of matches equals or exceeds the required number by USPSA.

SRT is right about improving the knowledge base of the club. However . . .

Contact USPSA and ask about scheduling a seminar. There is a fee but it is nominal and worth it.

It is $30 per student for the USPSA fee with a minimum of 20, plus instructor travel expenses. There is a program to have fewer than the $600 minimum fee ($30 x 20) that you apply for through your AD AFTER your seminar has been approved.

However,after your first year as a sanctioned club, the club can schedule a free NROI seminar, if the number of matches equals or exceeds the required number by USPSA.

I'm not so sure about this . . .

Edited by davidball

Is level I NROI Certification desired/needed for them/me?

Desired -- Yes.

Required -- Doesn't look like it.

If you go to USPSA.org and select "Additional Content", and then "Bylaws", you'll see the requirements for Club Membership in section 4.8. There are 5 items listed and certified ROs aren't on the list.

The first mention of a requirement for RO certification is in section 12.2, "Section Coordinators".

QUOTE(SRT Driver @ Jan 18 2006, 04:48 PM)

I'm not so sure about this . . .

We held an L1 seminar before we affiliated as to have L1 RO's before our first season.

With our affliation packet, we received a note stating that if we held x number of club activities in our first year we would receive a free NROI seminar.

We had enough and since most of our members were already L1 certified, our freebie was an L2 seminar. It helps to have two NROI instructors in our section which held costs to a minimum.

If 20 particiants is an issue, contact your section coordinator or other clubs.

NROI certified range officials are desired, but not absolutely required by the rules. It's a good idea, though, to have several people certified, as it lends consistency to your matches, and there will always be somebody to "go to" if a rules question arises.

Cost for the seminar is $30 per person, with a $600 minimum, unless your club can hold one with a "local" instructor, i.e., no appreciable travel expenses. Local classes are then priced per person, with no minimum. USPSA pays for the instructor's airfare, if required, or mileage if the instructor drives. The host club is responsible for the instructor's housing and meals, not travel expenses. This means a clean, inexpensive hotel room and usually lunch and maybe a couple of dinners. The Hilton and the local high-end steakhouse are not required. If you want to cook out on the range, that works, too. Most of the host clubs charge some additional fee--I've seen the total cost for the seminar range from $35 to $50 per student, to cover housing and meals for the instructor. That helps defray the cost of the seminar to the club.

Hope this helps. Contact Kim Williams, kim@uspsa.org, for more information and specifics regarding scheduling and cost of a level one seminar. NROI does have some discounts available, usually in conjunction with a club hosting a large (level III, possibly level II) match.

If I can be of any assistance, please PM or email me.

Good luck.

Troy

Go ahead and schedule it and see what happens! We were wanting to hold an L1 and I finally just said of to heck with it and scheduled one. I was tired of being one of only 3 certified ROs in the club.

The club owes USPSA $30 a head but the club can charge more to cover space rental and the food/lodging of the RMI. We charged $40 (if memory serves). In the end we didn't get a full class but the extra we charged covered most of the expenses. We wrote the rest off as shooter training/development expense and recovered the funds from match fees.

Most of those that took the class said they would have gladly paid more to get the training.

Thanks for all the replies. It seems the overwhelming response it to go for it. I will drop a note to some of the other clubs in the area and start the "getting interest up" process. Thanks for your info as well Troy. I assume that since your closest (we are in NW FL and Lower AL) you will be the most likely canidate to teach it.

Thanks again, Steven

Thanks for all the replies. It seems the overwhelming response it to go for it. I will drop a note to some of the other clubs in the area and start the "getting interest up" process. Thanks for your info as well Troy. I assume that since your closest (we are in NW FL and Lower AL) you will be the most likely canidate to teach it.

Thanks again, Steven

While there are several good instructors out there, you will be hard pressed to find a better choice than Troy. Good luck in getting your course set up.

After a year of shooting the game and thinking that I was OK with the rules, I took the Level One course. I now am of the belief that "I didn't have a clue". I still have a lot to learn but my eyes were really opened up.

One thing that struck me is that I believe the rules were always applied at each and every club. After taking the course I remembered many instances when what was done at a local match was not what was right according to the rules. So my training in what I thought were the rules was off. It helped me as a shooter and I can help the local club out.

After a year of shooting the game and thinking that I was OK with the rules, I took the Level One course. I now am of the belief that "I didn't have a clue". I still have a lot to learn but my eyes were really opened up.

One thing that struck me is that I believe the rules were always applied at each and every club. After taking the course I remembered many instances when what was done at a local match was not what was right according to the rules. So my training in what I thought were the rules was off. It helped me as a shooter and I can help the local club out.

That's definately one of the Good News/Bad News points about the course. It's good that you know the rules better, the bad news is you somehow have to find a way to have the same amount of fun shooting at clubs that don't follow the rules. :huh:

Get some experience & take the Level 2 course. You will never look at a course of fire the same again. You will try to figure out why the designer did it that way instead of another way. Interpret rules as they are written exactly, by that I mean; if it doesn't say you can then you can't or if it doesn't say you can't then you can. ALWAYS use a rule book when answering competitors questions never try to quote what you think you read.

Above all have fun. Being an RO means you get to see, up close and personal, ways to shoot a course of fire that you may have never thought of.