Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Para Sx1640j Or Sti Edge?

jpfishmaster

Hi to All,

I am a new member here and I am also new to competitive shooting. I'm quilified as Novice in IDPA and shoot CDP with an Wilson Combat CQB and I am unclassified in USPSA and shoot Production with a Glock G34. Haven been a 1911 "guy" for most of my life, I am considering jumping into Limited.

So my questions is what are the differences between an STI Edge and the STI Excutive. I have a B-day (another freaking one) coming up..and my Kids and wife just asked me what did I want. I have the bug, and plan to stay with this sport for many, many years....So EDGE or Excec?

Thanks in advance to all.

So my questions is what are the differences between an STI Edge and the STI Excutive. I have a B-day (another freaking one) coming up..and my Kids and wife just asked me what did I want. I have the bug, and plan to stay with this sport for many, many years....So EDGE or Excec?

The Executive is just an Edge in fancy dress clothes. It's Chromed, has sabre cut cocking serrations, grey grip, and a few other cosmetic touches. You really can't go wrong with either one - but I wish my Edge was an EXEC!

Bill

From the posts most people given a choice will choose an STI. If you look at used guns generally the STI has better resale value than the Para. IMHO, to save money would be the reason to buy a Para instead of a STI/SVI.

Whatever you chose, after shooting it for a while, it will feel right to you. After 40 years of shooting 1911s, the 2011 felt strange. Now the 1911 feels strange.

Edited by CenTX

• 2 weeks later...

I guess you have ruled out an SV...? There are no "standard SVs" as they are all made to a customer's order. Get what you want the first time and SV makes it in stainless. I have developed a fondness for the coated barrel which ought to lengthen the barrel life. I think Dave Dawson is second to no one when it comes to pistolsmithing BUT I can't get him to work on a gun he rebuilt for me a few years back because he has too much work already

on guns he built. Let me know if you're interested in an SV and we'll see what we can do.

Mick A27257

Those Paras really drag Todd down don't they???? Poor TGO might win a match one day if he switched to an STI.... That dumb Dave guy can't figure out he needs to trade in that Glock in order to win. At least one French guy isn't too impressed with STIs.

The list of folks without a clue is a long one.

At least give reasoned answers for the Para/STI question. "It's best because I'm a sheep who must follow the flock" isn't much of a reason. "Better resale value" is just as lame a reason as when Harley riders use it.

What happened to "its the indian not the arrow"? What happened to "extra cash is better spent on ammo"? I guess that's only true with a Glock huh?

I've got 65K+ rounds through my Para P-16 LTD. Hopalong sold it to me and I've put 45K of those rounds through it in 2 years with the same 10 nickle plated mags that have never been tweaked, tuned, or prayed over. They also hold 21+1 just by adding a Dawson extension.

The only reason I can't beat everyone in the world and make them cry is that I'm not good enough. My Para is certainly not holding me back. It wouldn't hold anyone back, it just costs less and isn't as "pretty".

And USPSA members wonder why people have the impression they need to spend a small fortune to shoot this sport and why the sport isn't growing :ph34r:

Yes.....I just feel troublesome today

Does Para even make a doublestack w/o that TERRIBLE L.D.A Trigger anymore? I looked at a Para today, and maybe your right about the Bow, but if the Bow Feels funny, I'll probably try another one. As Someone who only shot a single stack para compact .45, I wish I just had a mil-spec w a S/A trigger that day. I own and continue to buy 1911's as I have love em to death, but since I got an STI, I dont find myself looking to shoot the rest of em too much anymore, and I keep trying to buy up every nice used STI I can, as I know I'll get most my money back. I have been looking into used Para's but no one wants to sell em. their harder to find in CA. than STI's! That also tells me that their keepers as their hard to part with, which to me says a lot. I want one in my collection. If anyone wants to sell their S/A double stack 5", please let me know. I am moving to FL. for a while so I can own one and take it back to CA. should I move. thanks!

It is kind of like the Rolex watch vs Timex, Harley Davidson vs Honda etc. They all will do the same job. It is a matter of personal taste, cash available and certainly the mental end of things. If you think the STI is a better gun then you will probably shoot it better than the Para. If you just want a tool to do the job then both will handle it.

I agree on the SV guns also if they are in your budget. But if your finances are limited buy the Para and a lot of ammo and practice.