Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jhp In 625?

AustinMike

It's about time to order bullets again and I was thinking of trying some Zero 230gr. JHPs. The thought is they should be a little cleaner than the exposed base of the 230gr. FMJs I've been shooting in my 625. Anybody using hollow points in their wheelguns? I was worried about them hanging up on reloads, but they look fairly rounded near the cavity.

I've never had much luck with hollow points in a revolver but would love to hear what you experience if you decide to try them. When I've tested anything but round nose in my 627 or 625 I find the bullets do hang up slightly during reload. I'm not willing to give up any speed where I can possibly make it up.

I use Montana Gold CMJ's for the same reason without the concern of of them hanging up. If money is no object you can go this way. I can't wait to here from some others that have tried what you are asking about. Thanks, John DVC

My limited testing with Zero's 230 JHP and JRN is that the JHP seems to edge out the JRN

in accuracy. They do have a pretty big opening for the hollow point, I think the Win 230

JHP is more rounded. I think the dirty issue depends more on powder selection than the

exposed base, but that's just my opinion.

Try 1K and see how you like them, maybe with good moon clips (heathco ??) and practice

your reloads will be fine.

Good idea on the Montana Golds - don't know why I didn't think of that. I'll try some hollow points for giggles. I can always run them in the 1911 if they don't work so good in the 625. Looks like I'll be getting some Hornady 230gr. HAP to try, courtesy of Shred. I'll try some MGs if it doesn't work out.

I think the dirty issue depends more on powder selection than the

exposed base, but that's just my opinion.

That probably has a lot to do with it. Fast Clays plus exposed soft lead does seem to result in some lead residue on the gun.

Cleaner? In what way?

I've noticed a little lead around the forcing cone, on the top strap, cylinder face. Not a real big deal, but I just wondered if having a sealed bullet base would get rid of what little is there and cut down on the scrubbing time during cleaning.