Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 1100 not inserting brass

Chapo

9 hours ago, Chapo said:

Running an 1100 with mark 7. Also, recently installed the Armanov quick change Toolhead. Been noticing that upon cycling, the shellplate is not going all the way down to pick up brass. Here’s an example. Thoughts?

IMG_6233.jpeg

The cam has to go down far enough for the case shuttle to slightly go around the corner. 

See the red area. If your pic is at the bottom of the stroke then you have an issue. I have not used the Armanov tool head, so I’m not familiar with any adjustment of the cam height. 

IMG_1079.jpeg

Note: I have both a 1100 and 1050 automated with the Armanov plate bearing, but only use the Dillon and one aftermarket tool head sold on Immortobot years ago. I have also used multiple brands of shuttle cams and they all work fine.  

Edited by HesedTech

Install is good. I have reloaded tons of cases. Even after switching Toolhead was reloading fine.

That’s what’s interesting, the calibration test does go all the way down, but still doesn’t grab a case. 

1 hour ago, Chapo said:

but still doesn’t grab a case. 

We both know how simple the case shuttle feed system is, so the only way a case is not dropping and being fed to the shell plate are limited to a few things.

1. The case shuttle is not going back enough for a case to drop.
  2. There is an obstruction in the case feed adapter. 
  3. There is an obstruction in the case feed plunger/shuttle area.

Any obstruction in the plunger/shuttle movement should cause an automatic stoppage by the Mark 7 drive system because the cam will jam the downward movement of the press.

I assume you have the correct adapter, and it is free and clear to allow the cases to drop as the shuttle comes back?

The only reasons I have ever had with cases not dropping are:

1. Debris jamming case in adapter.
  2. The wrong brass (i.e. 40 or 38 super when running 9mm) mixed in with what I was running.
  3. Broken case plunger/shuttle spring.

I had one more idea for you, did you set up the dies with this tool head using the full down position of the drive?

If I'm repeating what you already know ignore it; when setting up a new tool head, first install the head, calibrate the drive and then set up the dies. Why? The sizing die normally touches the shell plate at the bottom of the stroke and if you calibrate after installing the die you won't get a full down stroke if the die is too low.

Just some ideas that hopefully will help. Good luck finding the issue.

6 hours ago, HesedTech said:

We both know how simple the case shuttle feed system is, so the only way a case is not dropping and being fed to the shell plate are limited to a few things.

1. The case shuttle is not going back enough for a case to drop.
  2. There is an obstruction in the case feed adapter. 
  3. There is an obstruction in the case feed plunger/shuttle area.

Any obstruction in the plunger/shuttle movement should cause an automatic stoppage by the Mark 7 drive system because the cam will jam the downward movement of the press.

I assume you have the correct adapter, and it is free and clear to allow the cases to drop as the shuttle comes back?

The only reasons I have ever had with cases not dropping are:

1. Debris jamming case in adapter.
  2. The wrong brass (i.e. 40 or 38 super when running 9mm) mixed in with what I was running.
  3. Broken case plunger/shuttle spring.

I had one more idea for you, did you set up the dies with this tool head using the full down position of the drive?

If I'm repeating what you already know ignore it; when setting up a new tool head, first install the head, calibrate the drive and then set up the dies. Why? The sizing die normally touches the shell plate at the bottom of the stroke and if you calibrate after installing the die you won't get a full down stroke if the die is too low.

Just some ideas that hopefully will help. Good luck finding the issue.

Thanks man. I will run the calibration with out dies first. Tom, the screw doesn’t have any play in it so no chance for adjustment i wish. Lol

Ran the calibration without dies, then with dies and did get a bit better. Also made sure the dies were only threaded the proper amount only and not more.  Now it, picks up 1 in 6. So found online an adjustable cam that will fit the bill. Keep yall posted. 

IMG_6300.png

Hesedtech, funny you mentioned that. And I think you hit the nail in the head. Exactly my thoughts from the beginning. Just didn’t believe that could be the problem. Glad I ordered that part above. I’m pretty sure it’ll be a fix for it. 

1 hour ago, m700 said:

If a head ran correctly pre automation it should function properly post automation correct?

It should, that is unless the hole for the cam was milled in the wrong spot. Stuff happens.

I want to add that I am a fan of Armanov products. I personally would not get the toolhead for the 1050/1100 but have many of his products. 

What I love about Armanov is their shipping, 3 day service across the pond to the USA.

Something is preventing the toolhead from going all the way down. Is the underside of the toolhead contacting the top of the button-head screws that lock the shellplate lock ring in place?

3 hours ago, HesedTech said:

It should, that is unless the hole for the cam was milled in the wrong spot. Stuff happens.

I want to add that I am a fan of Armanov products. I personally would not get the toolhead for the 1050/1100 but have many of his products. 

What I love about Armanov is their shipping, 3 day service across the pond to the USA.

They ship from delaware I believe