Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strange malfunction

While shooting, the hammer falls, the bolt goes forward with enough velocity to pick up the next rd but  stops 1/4" away from going into battery.

I cannot push the bolt forward with a screwdriver. I  then pull the bolt back a little, release it and it goes into battery.

MBX 10" barrel, Taccom bolt, Blitz 5020 buffer, orange spring, CMC trigger, Pallmetto upper, Odin 9mm lower, 124 gr, 134 power factor.

I looked at everything that moves. Nothing shows that would stop  the bolt.

I put in a red heaver spring,  changed to a AR Gold trigger, put in a shorter Blitz just to see. Nope!

I can run a lot of rds through it with no problem and then it happens.

This started after running this combo for five years or so.

Stumped!

1 hour ago, DukeSoprano said:

Bullet is stuck on the extractor? Or the extractor is not going back into place all the way, not allowing the bolt to go into battery. Be careful , I had a PCC fire out of battery once

Should have made this clear,

The momentum from the bolt going forward then stopping sends the cartridge from the face of the bolt into the chamber.

So what you have is a chambered live rd with the face of the bolt 1/4" away from being in battery.

Tim from Taccom products has solved my strange malfunction problem,

He saw my problem on Enos and called me on the phone.

He told me how to make a modification to my bolt to cure the malfunction.

My match this Sunday will let me know if he solved it. Either way, it was mighty nice of him to help me.

I do not personally know him but I do use his products.

1 hour ago, copterdrvr said:

So inquiring minds want to know...........................what did you do to the bolt????????

This ^^^^^^

And Tim is such a great guy.  Has helped me several times

3 hours ago, copterdrvr said:

So inquiring minds want to know...........................what did you do to the bolt????????

I run the Taccom Extream  bolt,

It has to be run in a gun that is short stroked.

It  has a notch cut into the bottom of the bolt where the trigger hammer rides.

The notch allows you to short stroke and still have bolt hold open on the last rd.

He had me grind off the back section of the notch. Every once in awhile the notch would catch on the back of a mag and stop the bolt 1/4" away from going into battery.

Since I have shot nine stages with out any problem.

Yea!!!

15 hours ago, copterdrvr said:

Hmmm, so are you saying the bolt was not ramped?  Does your bolt face completely encircle the base of the cartridge or is the bottom section of the bolt removed?

Yes it it ramped,

Just like any other bolt but along the ramp there is a cut  out so the bolt can lock back. I have never seen a 9mm bolt that completely encircles the cartridge. .223 yes but not a 9mm.

What bolt are you running?

39 minutes ago, dmshozer1 said:

Yes it it ramped,

Just like any other bolt but along the ramp there is a cut  out so the bolt can lock back. I have never seen a 9mm bolt that completely encircles the cartridge. .223 yes but not a 9mm.

What bolt are you running?

Go to the Taccom web page,

It has a side view picture of the bolt that explains everything.

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, copterdrvr said:

Sorry, been away for a while.....

ALL of my AR9 bolts have a  bolt face that completely surrounds the base of the cartridge.

You really need to read this article and it clearly explains WHY this is important and that includes your safety.

https://blowback9.wordpress.com/2023/11/09/9mm-bolts/

Thanks,

Nice article.

But I have to say that none of those bolts completely enclose the cartridge.

I  have the Taccom short stroke bolt and run them in three different rifles.

I like to short stoke my gun and the Taccom allows me to use my bolt

hold open.

I live in a 10 rd. state so it is a important feature.

OK but REALLY??????

I said "completely surrounded" to keep me from having to type a whole bunch of extra crap to describe the actual main point that I was trying to establish which is that some of the newer bolts have REMOVED the bottom lug of the face of the bolt to "facilitate loading" from Glock type magazines.  The removal of the bottom lug dramatically increases the exposed area of the case rim.....

If you read the entire article, you saw a first person example of what can happen when a bolt with the bottom lug is removed which obviously led to an out of battery discharge.  There are numerous examples of this happening with the bottom lug removed....

I only use the "old style" bolts with the internal extractor which encircles the bullet base even more than the newer style M16 extractor and I do that because I'm left handed.  I shoot a lot of AR9 and I found that the channel or cut in the bolt to house the M16 extractor acts as a funnel to direct any blowback crap directly into my face. After going to the old style bolt in all my AR9's, the amount of debris hitting my face has decreased dramatically.  Lesson for Leftys!!!!  😉

Just trying to make you aware of what could possibly happen for your safety.  I have read examples of people who were injured pretty seriously and none of us need that.......

I've never had any extraction issues because considering the fact that the 9AR is blowback, the empty case is pushing the bolt back and as long as the ejector is where it's supposed to be, the case will leave the upper.  The extractor does its most work when you extract an unfired round from the chamber......

5 hours ago, copterdrvr said:

OK but REALLY??????

I said "completely surrounded" to keep me from having to type a whole bunch of extra crap to describe the actual main point that I was trying to establish which is that some of the newer bolts have REMOVED the bottom lug of the face of the bolt to "facilitate loading" from Glock type magazines.  The removal of the bottom lug dramatically increases the exposed area of the case rim.....

If you read the entire article, you saw a first person example of what can happen when a bolt with the bottom lug is removed which obviously led to an out of battery discharge.  There are numerous examples of this happening with the bottom lug removed....

I only use the "old style" bolts with the internal extractor which encircles the bullet base even more than the newer style M16 extractor and I do that because I'm left handed.  I shoot a lot of AR9 and I found that the channel or cut in the bolt to house the M16 extractor acts as a funnel to direct any blowback crap directly into my face. After going to the old style bolt in all my AR9's, the amount of debris hitting my face has decreased dramatically.  Lesson for Leftys!!!!  😉

Just trying to make you aware of what could possibly happen for your safety.  I have read examples of people who were injured pretty seriously and none of us need that.......

I've never had any extraction issues because considering the fact that the 9AR is blowback, the empty case is pushing the bolt back and as long as the ejector is where it's supposed to be, the case will leave the upper.  The extractor does its most work when you extract an unfired round from the chamber......

Understand,