Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Ammo Recommendations

I agree with the above. Once the BEEEEEP goes off you won't notice 130 pf vs 140 pf. 

But the higher the PF, say NATO 124's -  you may see issues with your grip breaking down on multi shot target arrays.  Lower PF is "easier" in some subtle ways. 😉

An area I look at is "wear and tear" on ME. 😃  Go shoot a 300 or 400 round practice - once with 115 Blazer (about 131PF) - then with NATO 124's and see how your hands feel. 😎 Plus I can get Blazer cheaper than reloading right now, all of my guns run just fine with it and it goes BANG every time! 

If you "Need" soft shooting 9mm ammo to maintain a proper grip on the gun, then the root of the issue isn't the Ammo. It's your grip. ALL 9mm Minor ammo is "Soft Shooting" in comparison to Major PF ammo. Quit looking for the magical soft shooting ammo and work on your grip technique fundamentals.

@CHA-LEE I respectfully disagree.  Even with a proper grip, hands sweat, stuff happens... Grips shift.  If you're doesn't, how nice for you. 😉

And I didn't say "NEED", it helps.  If soft ammo wasn't advantageous... we wouldn't need Chronographs at matches. 😉

I'd say the vast majority of competitors disagree with your assessment that soft ammo isn't helpful. 😎 

Edited by Chutist

25 minutes ago, Chutist said:

@CHA-LEE I respectfully disagree.  Even with a proper grip, hands sweat, stuff happens... Grips shift.  If you're doesn't, how nice for you. 😉

And I didn't say "NEED", it helps.  If soft ammo wasn't advantageous... we wouldn't need Chronographs at matches. 😉

I'd say the vast majority of competitors disagree with your assessment that soft ammo isn't helpful. 😎 

I agree with you. The soft ammo lets me relax my grip a tad and thus some tension is released. Even if this isn’t correct it’s still true. Shoot some minor powder puff loads then switch to some critical defense and let me know if it matters is what I say to the people acting like it don’t matter. Racers are always trying to squeeze every little advantage they can, even superficial things can have a positive advantage. 

Its a game and some of us are playing to win. 

Edited by Twilk73

2 hours ago, Chutist said:

I'd say the vast majority of competitors disagree with your assessment that soft ammo isn't helpful.

That may be the case.  It is probably one of the many reasons most of the membership is made up of C and B class shooters.  Grip is one of my issues regardless the power of the ammo.

Edited by Boomstick303

2 hours ago, Chutist said:

Maybe this is a perspective difference between you and I. My perspective is from a "What does it take to WIN matches" approach. I am not sure what your Perspective is and don't want to assume. But the primary purpose for most people attending matches is to finish higher in the results vs lower.

In my experience attending matches all over the nation, the dudes focusing on using Mouse Fart Minor ammo usually have a laundry list of OTHER issues in their skill set which if fixed would dramatically improve their overall match performance. One such issue is that super soft shooting ammo promotes poor grip fundamentals & mechanics.

I have also seen MANY times where Mouse Fart Minor ammo also produces horrid accuracy. If you can't hit what you are shooting at because the accuracy of the ammo is trash, then who cares how "Soft" it shoots. Shoot a Group at 50 yards with your Mouse Fart Minor ammo and report back with the results. 

2 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

In my experience attending matches all over the nation, the dudes focusing on using Mouse Fart Minor ammo usually have a laundry list of OTHER issues in their skill set which if fixed would dramatically improve their overall match performance.

When I first started shooting I was chasing that soft shooting ammo, bullet weight, bs.  It was a complete waste of time.  Find a load your gun likes, i.e. runs the gun and is accurate  Tune the gun if necessary and learn how to shoot.  I have also found certain guns run better with faster ammo.  Some guns hate slow bullets.  The SIG P320's stock barrel hates slow ammo.  Accuracy was horrid.  It was not until I sped the bullets up to at least 1050 fps before the accuracy started to get dialed in.  As the bullet sped up the barrel became more accurate.  So many people wanted to run 147 gr bullets slow chasing that Mouse Fart load only to find out they guns accuracy was horrendous.

Accuracy of the gun is way more important that the PF.  

A benefit from a proper grip will allow some grace when mashing the trigger.  

For range ammo, I like Fiocchi and SIG FMJs.

For defense ammo in 9mm, I like Federal HSTs in 124gr.

You can find some really detailed ammo tests/comparisons online if you want to see specifics of velocity, penetration, expansion, etc.

On 8/15/2024 at 6:24 PM, scottjackson556 said:

Do you guys have any ammo recommendations for a lower power factor than factory stuff?

I shoot a Canik Rival-S, I have a #15 recoil spring in it. I normally shoot Blazer 124 grain for about 25 cpr. Is it worth trying out "competition" specific loads for 28-30 cpr? If so what companies should I check out? I'm thinking about ordering SuperVel's 147 grain load. 

Blackdot 147gr. RN  runs 100% in all my Canik's and is a soft shooting 147gr..  Try it, you'll love it

https://blackdotammunition-com.3dcartstores.com/9mm-147gr-RN-CP-cartridges-br-500-ROUNDS_p_205.html

Their 115gr & 124gr is a little snappy but the 147gr is Perfect..

• 2 weeks later...

You guys can tell the difference between Blazer 115 and 124? I mean, I guess I can if it's one mag after the other of each, but if I had to blindly pick one to shoot of the cuff, I wouldn't know. Reliability being equal, get whatever you think you shoot best for a price you can get a lot of. Or, get cheap stuff for practice and better for matches.

Edited by Laverne

10 hours ago, Laverne said:

You guys can tell the difference between Blazer 115 and 124? I mean, I guess I can if it's one mag after the other of each, but if I had to blindly pick one to shoot of the cuff, I wouldn't know. Reliability being equal, get whatever you think you shoot best for a price you can get a lot of. Or, get cheap stuff for practice and better for matches.

Blazer Brass 124gr. is too hot. You'll feel it in your palm.. Blazer Brass 115gr. is a little snappy but is very accurate and runs 100%  in any gun.