Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 Recoil Spring weights?

dltr

I purchased a CGW 11lb (yellow) recoil spring for my CZ Shadow 2 and it is still kinda hard trying to do that little V style press check on the front slide serrations to rack it. It always seems like people are able to easily rack the slide with their pistols at the end of a match, so I didn't know if I just need to go down to ~8lb, if this 11lb will break in, or if I just need stronger squeezers. 

Any opinions on what is light enough without going too light? I run 115g ammo if that matters.

Edited by dltr

Doing a press check easier is absolutely not the reason you should change a recoil spring weight. No one is going to be able to answer your question but you. If your muzzle is dipping you should go to a lighter spring, if the muzzle is returning high you should generally go to a heavier spring. The shadow is inherently nose heavy so most people end up going lighter. How much lighter is dependent on your ammo and your grip. 

39 minutes ago, ColoradoNick said:

Doing a press check easier is absolutely not the reason you should change a recoil spring weight. No one is going to be able to answer your question but you. If your muzzle is dipping you should go to a lighter spring, if the muzzle is returning high you should generally go to a heavier spring. The shadow is inherently nose heavy so most people end up going lighter. How much lighter is dependent on your ammo and your grip. 

Great info - thanks!

I would buy the spring tuners pack from CGW. I once asked David of CGW what spring to run, and he said "it depends." He said you want one that will eject the brass consistently six to eight feet away. I've also heard some shooters will run Bill drills with different springs and see which spring gives them the tightest group. But I believe, in my humble opinion, that testing the different weights and deciding for yourself is best.

https://cajungunworks.com/product/tuners-pac-music-wire-recoil-springs/

https://cajungunworks.com/how-to-select-the-proper-recoil-spring/

• 1 month later...

ColoradoNick is right.  I used an 11lb for a while, but ultimately landed with 12lb even though it's not as easy to rack as other pistols or spring combos.  It's reliable and returns to zero without dipping.  I just grab back by the optic when I need to rack with my CZ's.  A lot of people seem to go lighter, but there are a lot of factors.  IE, a lot of people shoot 147's loaded pretty light and I do 124's that aren't quite factory, but aren't powder puffs either...

11lbs seems to be the best go to for all the loads I've tried.  10 doesn't seem as reliable and the 12 is overkill.  I'd spring gauge them, some are heavier than others.  I like mine close to 11 as possible.  They seem to last quite some time too.  Hope this helps.

On 8/5/2024 at 5:13 PM, dltr said:

I purchased a CGW 11lb (yellow) recoil spring for my CZ Shadow 2 and it is still kinda hard trying to do that little V style press check on the front slide serrations to rack it. It always seems like people are able to easily rack the slide with their pistols at the end of a match,

Selecting the "right" recoil spring rate has nothing to do with that cool racking of the slide.

I learned the top pros do this:

Using your match ammo, video in slo-mo on your phone a lot of shots (not just one) with each spring weight you are testing. You can do single shots, doubles or a rapid string. Watch for rise and dip and then decide which weight has the least of each. That should be the best spring weight for that ammo and gun.

Why shoot a lot with each spring weight? You want to eliminate changes and anticipation of grip between weights.

Recoil spring weight is about the sights returning sooner for next shot and reliable feed of ammo. If a lighter spring minimizes rise and dip but doesn't feed well... you get it.

Recoil spring rate is not about the "feel" of recoil. It may feel better with a heavier spring, but sight return is what it is all about.

For what it's worth I use a 9lb in my Shadow 2 with 147 bullets.

Great video explaining it:

On 9/24/2024 at 8:15 PM, csailer said:

11lbs seems to be the best go to for all the loads I've tried.  10 doesn't seem as reliable and the 12 is overkill.  I'd spring gauge them, some are heavier than others.  I like mine close to 11 as possible.  They seem to last quite some time too.  Hope this helps.

Have you found any particular companies springs to be more consistent or do you just buy a few and gauge them?