Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mixed Brass

7 hours ago, Sarge said:

5” group is easily a miss on a mini popper at 20 yards

Understood, but in context, if I’m shooting a 5” group, that really means the gun is probably shooting a 2-3” group, and then, when my skill is added to that it opens to 5”. 

im much more inclined to be shooting at a piece of 6” knockdown steel at 12 yards than a mini popper at 20, so I accept the limitations of my ammo and skill. 

I had a strange incident with some brass I was using for a load test. Picked out 5 same headstamp out of a box that was prepped, loaded them up, single stage weighing each charge etc. Over the chrono one was 20 fps slower. Figured I screwed a couple up loaded them again, same thing. So I marked all the brass 1-5 and repeated the test. The one offender had a Glock smile on it that I didn’t notice. I filled them with fine ball powder and they were the same as the others. It wasn’t until I carefully water weighed them that the increased capacity showed up. Visually you couldn’t see any difference but somewhere there was an increase in capacity that would have screwed you at the chrono if you were close. 

Edited by Farmer

Posted (edited)

I got a chance to load some mixed brass with my regular load and test them. There were seven different head stamps.  I shot them from a rest at 15yds. using a red dot sight.  

This is a 20-shot group, the aiming point is a 2" dot.  I was surprised how well the grouped.

thumbnail_IMG_11869mm.jpg.93f876f0491d096b6cd89af6e5622bb2.jpg

I think I can live with this.

Edited by Drillbit

2 hours ago, Drillbit said:

I got a chance to load some mixed brass with my regular load and test them. There were seven different head stamps.  I shot them from a rest at 15yds. using a red dot sight.  

This is a 20-shot group, the aiming point is a 2" dot.  I was surprised how well the grouped.

thumbnail_IMG_11869mm.jpg.93f876f0491d096b6cd89af6e5622bb2.jpg

I think I can live with this.

Your results are what I am used to experiencing with my mixed head stamp reloads.  I just don't think the juice is worth the squeeze to sort by head stamp and segregate my reloads.

I sort by headstamp because of my reloading process more than anything else. I like to run my press as efficient as possible to prevent stoppages. I can feel quite a difference between some brands of brass when i pull the handle so I load only one stamp at a time. That way when something feels "off" I know there is most likely a problem with the brass. But thats just me. It all shoots and chronos pretty much the same.

Like Sarge said it keeps everything the same, lot of variance in different brass. I built a headstamp sorter last year, when I ran a couple of buckets of range brass through it it came up with 64 different headstamps. I only use four, well I added Sig since the shoot at my club, a while back I picked up 6K 9 and 3K 10's once fired from that. I usually load in 5K batches but I have so much sorted, processed and primed brass I have no reason to used mixed.