Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Breechface and Rocksett

Infinity just helped replace a breechface and the theory is the screw that held the breechface in place got loose so when the barrel locked up it hit the breechface until it broke. I know for a fact the last time I swapped out the extractor, I red loctited the breechface in place. I'm guessing because of the heat I get the barrel/slide up to, it melted the red loctite which is what allowed it to loosen over time. 

Anyone see any issues if I use Rocksett instead? I know if I ever want to remove the breechface for whatever reason I'll need to dunk the slide in water, but if I more or less just want the breechface to be in place for the next 80k rounds, does it matter?

I think you're on the right track. Rocksett is a ceramic based adhesive and is unaffected by heat. It is what is usually used to lock muzzle devices on barrels because heat doesn't affect it. You'll have to do more than just dunk it in water to get it loose though. I have never had to take any of my muzzle devices loose after putting them on, but it's my understanding that the part has to soak in water at least overnight and I've also heard 24 hours.

I dunno, red loctite has always worked for me.  Probably have a couple hundred thousand rounds through two Limited guns and never had the breach face on either come loose.  I'm guessing the parts probably weren't completely clean before assembly.  But, Rocksett should work if you want to go that route.  If I recall, the key to best method for disassembly with that is to submerge the part(s) in boiling water.

12 hours ago, 392heminut said:

I think you're on the right track. Rocksett is a ceramic based adhesive and is unaffected by heat. It is what is usually used to lock muzzle devices on barrels because heat doesn't affect it. You'll have to do more than just dunk it in water to get it loose though. I have never had to take any of my muzzle devices loose after putting them on, but it's my understanding that the part has to soak in water at least overnight and I've also heard 24 hours.

Last year as a test I Rocksetted a muzzle brake on a spare barrel and let it sit for the week. Then without soaking I was still able to force it off with a 3 ft breaker bar. Granted this screw is much too small to use a breaker bar, but it's definitely big enough I should be able to apply decent torque without worrying about stripping the head.

11 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

I dunno, red loctite has always worked for me.  Probably have a couple hundred thousand rounds through two Limited guns and never had the breach face on either come loose.  I'm guessing the parts probably weren't completely clean before assembly.  But, Rocksett should work if you want to go that route.  If I recall, the key to best method for disassembly with that is to submerge the part(s) in boiling water.

I also used the red solid instead of red liquid. I believe the specs for red solid are midway between blue liquid and red liquid so that could have been it too. I've also shot the gun hot enough where the front of the slide will cause minor burns. 

11 hours ago, Rnlinebacker said:

Orange Permatex and don't look back

I'm going to have to look into this, the initial product page does sound like exactly what I may be looking for. 

On 6/19/2024 at 1:14 PM, m0dnar said:

Infinity just helped replace a breechface and the theory is the screw that held the breechface in place got loose so when the barrel locked up it hit the breechface until it broke. I know for a fact the last time I swapped out the extractor, I red loctited the breechface in place. I'm guessing because of the heat I get the barrel/slide up to, it melted the red loctite which is what allowed it to loosen over time. 

Anyone see any issues if I use Rocksett instead? I know if I ever want to remove the breechface for whatever reason I'll need to dunk the slide in water, but if I more or less just want the breechface to be in place for the next 80k rounds, does it matter?

If you have the new breach face extractor you are not going to be leaving the breach face in place for 80k the little spring and hook won't make it that long, I believe the recommended change interval is something like 10K 

Red Locktite should be good up to 300 - 350 degrees (depending on what red your using), more likely is the treads on the screw and breachface were not as clean as they needed to be.

11 hours ago, m0dnar said:

Last year as a test I Rocksetted a muzzle brake on a spare barrel and let it sit for the week. Then without soaking I was still able to force it off with a 3 ft breaker bar. Granted this screw is much too small to use a breaker bar, but it's definitely big enough I should be able to apply decent torque without worrying about stripping the head.

I also used the red solid instead of red liquid. I believe the specs for red solid are midway between blue liquid and red liquid so that could have been it too. I've also shot the gun hot enough where the front of the slide will cause minor burns. 

I'm going to have to look into this, the initial product page does sound like exactly what I may be looking for. 

I use Permatex on all my screws. Grip, optic mounts, etc. It doesn't move in my experience the last two years.

On 6/20/2024 at 5:52 PM, MikeBurgess said:

If you have the new breach face extractor you are not going to be leaving the breach face in place for 80k the little spring and hook won't make it that long, I believe the recommended change interval is something like 10K 

Red Locktite should be good up to 300 - 350 degrees (depending on what red your using), more likely is the treads on the screw and breachface were not as clean as they needed to be.

That's good to know on the extractor. I've had 2 go out at almost exactly 12k rounds each and it felt premature, but it sounds like I'm right on track.