Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Corrective lenses or not?

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, shred said:

Went back to the eye doc and we clicked the machine out a few clicks while looking at the sights until I got a "plenty good enough" front sight picture and much more clarity downrange.

Pretty much what I did with contacts and it works shooting mostly target focused.  

Edited by deerslayer

When you focus on the target the sights are not in sharp focus, but a little blurry. If you have good uncorrected vision the sights won't be so blurry to make them unusable. But if you have poor uncorrected vision to start with with the sights will be too blurry to be usable using target focus. That's why even if you're not using hard front sight focus you need your vision corrected to make the sights useable with target focus. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2024 at 5:33 PM, leam said:

I need corrective lenses to see far out, but the lenses I have blur the front sight. Should I wear non-corrective shooting glasses? Is there another option?

One idea might be a red dot. However, I've never used one, and am between jobs right now so a new blaster isn't in the cards.

I am a near sighted person. I need my prescription for distance. anything past 15 ft. it gets blurred. 

When i shoot irons i do not wear any prescription glasses.

But when i do shoot red dots i wear my prescription to make my target crystal clear. 

I recently broke down and got glasses for distance myself.  I had LASIK about 20 years ago, and have probably had a little bit of a prescription for the past 10, but never really felt like glasses were holding me back.

Ive been shooting some more rifle matches and see the 200yd steel was proving to be a problem, so I went to a 2A friendly ophthalmologist, and work out a few options. I then sent the Rx off to Brian at Hunters HD for some new spectacles. 

I  guess it depends on how your brain adopts (?) I tried to have distance on the non dominant eye and computer distance for my dominant eye - This is mono vision. This however gave me a headache. Given that I can still see the front sight better, I left the dominant eye with no corrective glasses and kept the non dominant on distant. 

Really interesting conversation! Like one of the other posters, I had Lasik done about 20+ years ago. As time went on, I have noticed more issues with close vision as presbyopia set in, but the front sight or red dot was still fairly sharp.

More recently, the issue worsened. I ended up buying a few pairs of reading glasses of different power to experiment a bit with dry fire work before jumping into larger expenditures. I focused on my dominant right eye lens choice to bring the front sight post into clearer focus, then swapped the left lens out for lower and lower power lenses until the target array at 15-20 feet was pretty clear. Meeting with a 2A friendly optometrist in the next couple of weeks to see what we can do!

I wear progressive lens and after cataract surgery, they are pretty weak but I cannot see open sights well as you look through the wrong part of the lens.

For the last five or six years I use a stick on bifocal. It is 1.25 for me, you may need a different one. I mount it high on my dominant eye lens I am looking through it.

Sights are nice and clear and target slightly blurry.

I tried getting prescription glasses made for shooting twice but it never worked out and they are expensive.

https://safetyglassesusa.com/products/sticktoit-stick-on-bifocal-lenses?_pos=1&_sid=c7ba6e077&_ss=r