Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to make the trigger heavier?

I'll be shooting a old STI edge converted .45acp pistol I have lying around for Service Pistol matches to work on getting my Pres 100, only issue is the trigger needs to be 4lbs and currently its at 3lbs, what do I need to do get to break a bit heaver? 

simplest solution without messing with anythign would be to change the main spring.. Id try a 19lb.. its probably got a 16 or 17 in it..

It sounds like you have a trigger pull gauge.

If you are comfortable with disassembling 1911/2011, you can take the sear spring and apply small incremental tuning to get the weight you want.  There are quite a few videos on youtube on how to tune the sear spring.  I know Atlas has a video on this.  Usually, they are to get a lighter trigger pull but going heavier is just the opposite direction.  I would probably work on the left most leg which contacts the sear.  It also does not take much at all to adjust the weight.

If you are not comfortable with this, you can either find a friend that is or a competent gunsmith to help with this.

On 5/8/2024 at 4:10 PM, DocMedic said:

I'll be shooting a old STI edge converted .45acp pistol I have lying around for Service Pistol matches to work on getting my Pres 100, only issue is the trigger needs to be 4lbs and currently its at 3lbs, what do I need to do get to break a bit heaver? 

You need to ask yourself "Where" you want the additional weight added? In the Take up (Middle Sear Spring) or In the Break (Left Sear Spring). For most people they usually prefer a heavier take up with a softer break so bend the middle sear spring forward a little bit and see if that achieves your 4lb goal without making the trigger feel "Strange". Keep in mind that bending the sear spring a little bit makes a BIG difference in pull weight.

On 5/8/2024 at 7:01 PM, Joe4d said:

simplest solution without messing with anythign would be to change the main spring.. Id try a 19lb.. its probably got a 16 or 17 in it..

The mainspring has only a minimal amount of effect on trigger pull weight.

This is one of those 'hard to say' issues without seeing the pistol.  Most likely changing to an OE/Colt spec sear spring will do it, the super-light sear springs that the custom builders use are often very hard to increase trigger pull weight much over 3lbs.  I have some C&S springs here bent into wild angles, they still pull at 3.25lbs....drop in a Colt spring and they jump to 5+lbs and then can tune down a little.  

Pay attention when 'dropping in' sear springs to old STIs.  Some grips have the lower sear spring slot in a slightly different spot that can cause problems with short sear springs.

1 hour ago, shred said:

Pay attention when 'dropping in' sear springs to old STIs.  Some grips have the lower sear spring slot in a slightly different spot that can cause problems with short sear springs.

Yup, I have ran into this problem! I have also ran into it with a Para Ordnance.