Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

High-Round count CZ SP01 (Non-shadow)?

DenC

Hi Everyone,

Been interested in the 9mm CZ SP01, non-shadow, manual safety, with fpb version for quite a while now. (I think the SKU is 89152 according the CZ custom website).

Is there anymore here with a high round count on this particular model?

I ask because there have been some reports of the slide failing in the past at relatively low round counts.

Here is a link where one sheared off the dust cover : 

And there is mention of this in another site (pistol-forum.com). 

So it seems like this was a thing. In fairness, the thread above was back in 2015 and the thread in pistol-forum was back in 2016. According to a gentleman named Slavex in pistol-forum, CZ was already aware of the issue and replaced the slides?/pistols of customers who experienced this failure. CZ USA also replaced the slide for our member in this forum.

I am not in the USA so doing a warranty claim is impossible in case something like this happens. Plus if US customers cant get a factory replacement or a second sllde nowadays (usually to mount optics), it would be impossible then in my situation.  Wanted to know if this issue has been resolved by CZ, perhaps on newer production units of this particular model.

So to all who have put a lot of rounds through this model, how many rounds have you put though it (without the slide breaking) and what year was your gun manufactured?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by DenC

I have an SP01 purchased in early 2006.  No SKU on box.  UPC 06793-01153-3.  Round count is ~70,655.  Most of the rounds are 124/125 gr FMJ at 1,050 fps (aka 130 PF).  I've fired 95, 115, 121, 124, 125, 130, 147, 160 gr bullets thru the pistol.  Frame is good.  Pistol still shoots better than I can.,  Burned out the barrel at ~60,100 rnds and replaced.  My pistol does like 0.356" bullets to 0.355".  Is significantly more accurate with the 0.356".  

Edited by GeneBray
corrected a spelling error.

Thanks for all your replies.

As far as I can tell it seems to be a particular batch/batches? of SP01s had this issue.

I tried emailing CZ International but haven't gotten a reply. 

I'm guessing (only guessing though) that if I buy a newer production unit, say something made 2020 onwards, I should not run into this problem, hopefully. 

Just saw the the gentleman I mentioned named @slavex in pistol-forum is also a member here 🙂 Hope he can share more info on what he got from CZ during that time regarding the matter. Though it was back in 2016 😀

Hoooboy, @DenC that's some necro posting from Pistol Forum lol. 

Yeah I've seen a few friends have slides break at the spring box on older SP01 Shadows, not the tactical if memory serves, just the regular Shadows. Spring box would detach from the bottom of the slide and then recoil rod would take off. CZ always replaced the slide. If I remember right, none were super high round count guns, they were all fairly new and CZ identified the issue from specific batches of casting. Probably too many Pepsi cans in that batch or Ladas or something. 

I've seen two newer Shadow 2s break (maybe 3 even) at the breach face, breaks were near identical, and those slides were also replaced by CZ (this was a couple years ago). No idea what the issue was there or round counts on those guns. 

Between all my CZs I'm at about 1.25 million rounds through them all, with a couple guns over 200k (old Shadows). All I've ever broken are slide stops and TRS and firing pin springs. Plus a couple front sights.