Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder sticking to Powder check rod.

Using the powder check on the 1050 and ball powder (231) The brass rod pulls flakes of powder out regardless of what I use to stop the static cling. I've tried everything I know of to stop it. Cleaned it with alcohol, used dryer sheets, rubbed on graphite....... Does anyone have any better suggestions?  It's on ly a few flakes but after a couple hundred rounds the press gets messy as hell. Thanks

Rubbing the brass end with a dryer sheet seemed to increase the cling for me. Weird, as I've used it successfully to reduce static in the powder measure. I cleaned the brass end as instructed above and, before loading, pierced it into a lb of powder and stirred it around for a bit. Now, I actively avoid touching or cleaning the brass end and I haven't ever had an issue again.

P.S. All I load now is 231. 

Edited by 4n2t0

Like 4nt20 I kept having a bad sticking problem on my Lee dippers when I used them. I had a pound of e3 close by and just tossed it inside, shook it around and problem solved. It will re-stick wherever you touch it though. It even keeps Tightwad from sticking and that stuff’s the worst. 

On 4/19/2024 at 11:46 AM, dillon said:

Dip the brass end in soapy water, then let it air dry. This will remove the static. 

Thanks for the tip! I get tried of using compressed air to clean off my press.