Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC Limited slide marks

Hello guys I purchased a DVC limited back in late 2015 and have around 5k rounds through it. Always cleaned and kept it lubricated well. To me the gun felt smooth racking it by hand when I got it up until I felt other sti 2011s. I’ve felt my friends sti edge and another friends sti hawk and both feel significantly smoother than my dvc. My dvc almost feels grainy in some spots. Recently during cleaning I noticed some marks on the inside of the slide by the barrel locks. Don’t know if these are normal or something to worry about. The gun runs fine but I don’t want to wait until something happens.  What do you guys think? 

I’m wondering if those are just some machining marks that you could polish out with a Dremel tool with a felt tip and Flitz or some similar polish. 

What does the barrel hood look like? Those locking rings really wouldn't affect the feel except for the first half inch because it drops, unless the hood is dragging because the barrel is not fit right.

I have two DVC Limited's, one hard chrome and one DLC and neither look that worn inside the slide.

3 hours ago, sharko said:

What does the barrel hood look like? Those locking rings really wouldn't affect the feel except for the first half inch because it drops, unless the hood is dragging because the barrel is not fit right.

I have two DVC Limited's, one hard chrome and one DLC and neither look that worn inside the slide.

how many rounds do you have through yours? The barrel has a spot by one or the locks where the TiN coating seems to be rubbing off. I’ll upload a picture soon

I wouldn't be sanding in there unless you know exactly what you're doing, and from the current posts, it doesn't seem so.  It's unlikely to be the problem and it's easy to take off too much there and wipe .005 or .010" off your lockup.  It's pretty common to see marks there and impossible to tell if it's a little or a lot from a picture.

Find where it feels rough one piece at a time.  Start with just a bare slide on the frame and slide that back and forth and see, then work up, adding one thing at a time--barrel, then recoil system and find out where the 'grit' feel is coming from, then decide what to do about it, rather than blindly filing and sanding and polishing on things.

Also, those are usually called "slide lugs", not "locks" if you've not hit that term before.

5 hours ago, Javier2011 said:

how many rounds do you have through yours? The barrel has a spot by one or the locks where the TiN coating seems to be rubbing off. I’ll upload a picture soon

What I was trying to say is if the locking lugs are causing your drag there would probably be scratches along most of the hood. The barrel drops away from those locking lugs as soon as the slide starts back so if you have scratchiness for more of the slide travel it's probably something else. 

BTW: Here's one of my slides, around 8k rounds. The barrel is DLC and doesn't show any wear.

NZ8_1579.thumb.JPG.20f497c25ca2ebe16f2381a57d6766a9.JPG

20 hours ago, shred said:

I wouldn't be sanding in there unless you know exactly what you're doing, and from the current posts, it doesn't seem so.  It's unlikely to be the problem and it's easy to take off too much there and wipe .005 or .010" off your lockup.

You would have to work pretty freakin hard to take that much off with 600 grit paper! Just sayin!

13 minutes ago, 392heminut said:

You would have to work pretty freakin hard to take that much off with 600 grit paper! Just sayin!

You wouldn't believe some of the "gunsmithing" and "light polishing" I've seen :D

Thanks guys. I think the grit feel is in the recoil spring. I swapped it out for another one and it feels better. I’ll do a good clean on the gun and try to take better pics of the inside of the slide, which is probably fine hopefully. Just paranoid as I have heard horror stories about the DVCs and this is one of the early models 

Posted (edited)

Ok well I thought it felt better but if it does it’s very minimal. I think I will call staccato and see what they say. I checked the barrel and took pictures. There’s some wear on one of the sides by the hood and I can catch my finger nail on it. Looking at it towards light you can how it almost has a lip. 
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/48uz26g6c0qsfi5v8wdzq/IMG_7520.jpeg?rlkey=wvaqspjjqzskhs1rfrddxj2u6&st=nqrr3la3&dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/yhd2jrsofjafzbrinmrl0/IMG_7521.jpeg?rlkey=rdful6jii73jbnet538dzijzr&st=qf2sgogk&dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/34migcuttubrvlesduqw9/IMG_7523.jpeg?rlkey=yff9y2jiphilhzjt0uwy3oihv&st=2huif7w7&dl=0

Edited by Javier2011

• 2 months later...

I had a DVC Stainless Steel 2018 ish.  Sent it back in to have (STI at the time) do a hardness test on the slide as I had marks that were not normal. The slide was "soft". They fit a new slide for me. Send it back to Staccato and have them look at it. They did me right.

1 hour ago, deerslayer said:

Does Staccato do warranty work on STI guns?

They have in the past, I don't know if they still will

1 hour ago, RJH said:

They have in the past, I don't know if they still will

It may be case by case but I've known two instances where Staccato told the gun owner to pound sand! The rumor was that that's one of the reasons they changed to Staccato so they wouldn't have to warranty all the cracked DVC Open guns.

My shooting buddy has an STI Open gun that the comp cracked on either side of the first chamber. Seems to be a common problem with these guns. He contacted Staccato and they told him to send it in and they would fix it under warranty he sent it in about 6 months ago and still hasn't gotten it back yet.

On 6/24/2024 at 6:10 PM, deerslayer said:

Does Staccato do warranty work on STI guns?

Depends on what it is, but I think the days of buying a STI Open gun, wearing it out and sending it back for a complete rebuild are over.  People used to do that quite a bit I've heard.

• 1 month later...

I bought a new DVC-O just after they changed to Staccato and it had the throat bored off center. I sent it back and after some arguing they fixed it. They started off saying it was fine and that Dave Dawson said it was one of the best shooting guns and the were going to return it. I sent them borescope pictures and a couple of weeks later I got it back with a new barrel and the old one in the package.  

That's the only one I've had an issue with.