Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sorting mixed head stamp brass

Joel_x

It sounds like you have everything setup correctly.  What powder and charge weight are you running?  Also have you checked length after seating then again after crimp to see if the crimp station is causing an issue?  Check lengths after each station.  Another thing is you said you are hand seating, this could be another variable.  Even though I don't use a bullet feeder I still use the feeding die and handload into the top of the die.  That has helped my consistency as well.

1 hour ago, Joel_x said:

Feel and accuracy is insignificantly changed in my experience.

Major loads? For 9mm minor on a typical setup (Dillon 1050) I suspect most of us are + - 0.005 or greater. I have never been able to tell any difference. 

16 hours ago, Joel_x said:

I only have the one stem for BSD. It’s tapered to “align” the bullet before seating. I have tried with and without the spring in the BSD. 

If you have too much bell in the case mouth after expanding, it will cause problems.

In any case, I'd suggest switching to a Mr. Bulletfeeder two step expander/funnel and changing the stem on your seating die.  That will eliminate the need to 'align' the bullet before seating.  No 'bell' is required with the MBF expander.

You may also consider going to a Hornady seating die.  It aligns the bullet no matter what stem you use.

Edited by zzt

3 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

It would be interesting to select rounds 0.005 above and below target and see if you could tell any difference. I assume that something would be seen on the chrono but I don't know that a change to either feel or accuracy would be noticeable.  

I suspect it would only show up in SDs.  I did shoot a bunch of the minor ammo loaded with the Lee at an outlaw action/steel match.  Some of them were bound to be +/- .005".  I did not notice anything.  I was concentrating on the targets.  I'll measure some more and shoot them to see if they feel any different.  I'm not sure that will tell anything.  There are going to be pressure differences in all the same OAL ammo, because of the relatively large variation in case capacity.