Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading components in Alaska

BJB

For those that currently live in Alaska, or have recently lived in Alaska, could you peruse the following and give me your insights please? ………especially with the post-chinese flu supply chain problems.

We are contemplating a move to Alaska, the Homer area.  I am currently a high volume shooter, predominantly USPSA, but other genres as well. Is ordering reloading components and having them shipped to Alaska as simple as paying 2 hazmat fees since stuff has to go through Ketchikan and/or Whittier? Or is there more to it than that? I searched through old threads and found some information but not everything was clear to me.  I order components in high volume too so if it’s just 2 hazmat fees then that’s no big deal to me. Can you folks that have direct first-hand knowledge on the subject please educate me with the latest?

1)      Hazmat components: powder & primers.

2)      Bullets: I shoot mainly coated and USPS flat rate seems like the way to go vs UPS & FedEx.

3)      Lead for casting: I’m starting to cast/coat my own bullets now so how is shipping lead to Alaska?

4)      Existing components: I currently have over 60 pounds of powder & about 85k primers, so can I ship that to Alaska somehow?

Thank you up front for your information.

I don't know Homer, but in the Valley (Mat Valley), primers are difficult to obtain, powder is available, ammunition is available.  You can transport 8 kg of powder and 5k primers through Canada if you drive.  Shipping lead, ammunition, and primers to Alaska can be done through a shipper - I used Carlile (https://www.carlile.biz/ship-to-alaska/), but there are others. 

Another consideration is also where to shoot there. The Anchor Point range is open limited hours, the Kenai/Solditna range is quite far, and the gravel pit east of town is pretty far, with weather making for a short season. Otherwise, Homer is a great town. 

@TroyCHenley & @GJM, thank you for the replies.

So, ordering primers/powder online and having them shipped to your home by paying shipping/hazmat like in the lower 48 is not an option in Alaska? Or, it is available but you just have to pay more shipping/hazmat charges? Or, you’re required to use a shipper like @TroyCHenley mentioned to get any appreciable quantity of reloading components?

@GJM, I plan to put up some berms and build my own bay on some property north of Homer.  That’s where most of my rounds will be expended. I find practice very fun. The Snowshoe range at Kenai looks to be a legit range and they run some USPSA and Steel Challenge (Being from Arkansas, I found it funny that they state that they run matches there until it reaches zero degrees......then you should call and check to see if it's cancelled). And maybe could compete up at Birchwood now & then for bigger matches. That’s just gravy on the potatoes though as most of my shooting will be in practice at home.  

We're looking at summers now anyway, May through October or the like.

@BJBTake your bug spray for those B-52 mosquitoes. That or a shotgun. 😆 
Most places that I’ve ordered stuff from usually have an extra charge for Alaska deliveries, you might just look on Powder Valley’s website to see if they have any info. Maybe check with RMR or your favorite bullet manufacturer also to see what they provide. 

Edited by Farmer

• 1 month later...