Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Would It Pay To Do A Reload

Farmer

Just a hypothetical question but just say you were cruising along great with your rimfire and it jams a round in the mag or you screwed up and ran dry,(not full mag) would it pay to attempt a re-load or just take the 30? I know you toss the worst but what if it’s a really bad day?

In most cases I would say it is worth it to try and salvage the string. I would be upset with myself if I gave up on the 2nd string and got 30 seconds for a malfunction that I could have cleared in 5-8 seconds, then on the 4th string run dry because I was all flustered about the 2nd string. Now I have two 30 seconds runs and one of them counts. I would much rather clear the malfunction or reload on the 2nd string, take my ~10 second time and call it a learning opportunity. 

Now, ask me that on the 5th string when I rocked 1-4 and I might just take the 30 and avoid looking goofy fumbling with my gun and mags.

It costs you nothing to clear and re-load.  The worst your score will be is 30 seconds.  If you beat that, great.  If not, nothing lost.  I'd rather have a 29 instead of a 30.

Edited by zzt

On 3/4/2024 at 9:21 AM, Tampa-XD45 said:

And if it's a jam, always clear the jam and finish the string to make sure the gun is good to go for the next string.

This i think is an important one to note. Example gun screws up, shooter "give me a 30", next string same. Iv even taken a bad string to check sights if they got loose. Try to turn it into something productive. 

On 3/4/2024 at 6:21 AM, Tampa-XD45 said:

And if it's a jam, always clear the jam and finish the string to make sure the gun is good to go for the next string.

Especially with RF. I had a bad mag that was a pita to figure out. Would do the ugly 22 jam where it darn near bent the bullet in half while skinning the lead off, and not all the time. Mag lips were just off enough to let an occasional one pop out before it was ready.