Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S+W 327 TRR8 Part Question

rooster mcbee

I have a new TRR8 that I'm doing a little smoothing on.  It has a part inside that I'm not familiar with.  Research shows that it is a Bolt Block.  Apparently, it slides up between the cylinder release and the frame at some point in the operation.  I plan on leaving the hammer block out when I reassemble, should I leave out this Bolt Block too?  I can't really figure out what its purpose is or what activates it.  Thanks, Doug

The pivot pin on the hand goes into a notch on the bolt block, when the trigger is pulled

all the way back the bolt rises up and prevents the bolt (the internal part that the cylinder

release attaches to) from moving forward under recoil, thus un-locking the cylinder.

(IIRC)

Edited by 10mmdave

I would leave the bolt block in, just for reliability insurance . The hand on guns with this feature have an extended length hand pivot pin to engage the slot of the bolt block.

You can leave out the storage lock and put in the hole plug. Also remove the hammer block if you want. I leave the hammer block in all of my guns. It's a good safety feature, and doesn't hurt anything.

Edited by Toolguy

7 hours ago, Toolguy said:

I would leave the bolt block in, just for reliability insurance . The hand on guns with this feature have an extended length hand pivot pin to engage the slot of the bolt block.

You can leave out the storage lock and put in the hole plug. Also remove the hammer block if you want. I leave the hammer block in all of my guns. It's a good safety feature, and doesn't hurt anything.

And bianchi requires the flag be left in.

For a pure competition gun, you can delete the bolt block.  It only comes into play when shooting very hot magnum loads.  Like the hammer block, it's just one more friction-creating moving part you don't need on a competition revolver.   

Toolguy knows more about revolvers than just about anybody here, but I don't understand his comment that removing one of these bolt blocks could possibly create a reliability problem.  That extended hand pin will cause no issue--the extended part just hangs there in space.  

BTW, most S&Ws don't have the bolt block.  It was originally developed to enhance reliability for the big-bore 29/629 magnum series.  Somebody must have decided it was also a good idea for the alloy-frame Model 327, in case they are used with hot magnum ammo.  

The 327 is a lightweight gun, and we don't know what kind of loads will be used. Regular or even +P target loads don't need the bolt block. Major Power Factor or Magnum loads may (or may not) need it.

Just to clear up how I'm going to use the 327, it's going to be a dedicated Steel Challenge revolver, and I will be using .38 special brass and bullets left over from my cowboy action shooting days.  I've bought moon clips for the .38 specials and have developed a 100 PF load.  I'm excited to compete with it.

A little belated- Thanks for the kind words, Mike. That's a very high compliment in my book, considering the source.

Edited by Toolguy

I think of the revo people as my friends, even though I haven't met some of them, so I try to help them as my skill set allows. I have a lot of good local revo friends, too. It's kind of a tight community.