Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fiocchi primers and DAA primer pro

Anyone here have experience w Fiocchi primers and the DAA Primer Pro? 

If you own one, you know that primers such as Winchesters have a very tiny amount of factory lube left on them, which gums up the mechanism and it becomes a pain in the ass to use. 

Hopefully fiocchis don’t have this problem, but wanted to throw it out to you all to hear experiences.

as for Fiocchi SPP in general, they do seem to be decent primers from other threads I’ve read here. It’s the DAA issue I’m mostly concerned about.  

6 hours ago, nitrohuck said:

Anyone here have experience w Fiocchi primers and the DAA Primer Pro? 

Yes. My DA Primer Pro was one of the first ones sold and required the base plate change to run correctly. After 10s of thousands of Federals, that ran perfect, I switched to Fiocchi and am currently at about 6K with only two flipped primers, and I suspect that happened as they went down the Dillon primer feed magazine on my 1100.

As far as reliability, 11.5# hammer spring on Shadow 2 all go bang. Not one light strike.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you all still like your primer pro? Any headaches? Pretty consistent? Do you really need more than just the one tube?

I've been on the fence about getting one. I saw that DAA has another one that is like the Dillon coming out this year and wondered if I should wait for that.

So I love the Primer Pro, I’ve only cleaned the thing once after probably 12k rounds. 

the one catch is that Winchester primers don’t work very well, something I wish I knew before I bought 6k of them haha. I’d also assume the Winchester issue transfers to other primers too. The issue is that the primers have a very slight amount of factory lube on them, which slows them down on the feed ramp and causes very slow filling of the primer tube. 

CCIs have been my go-to. they work great, and to be fair I’m sure MOST primers will work great, I just haven’t tried a ton of different brands to test it out. 

you truly only need one primer tube. While you’re loading 100rds, the primer tube is filling itself up, and it will fill way faster than you could ever load 100rds on the press, so it’s ready and waiting for me every time I need to refill the press. 

I don’t have experience w the Dillon RF100, or the new DAA equivalent, so I don’t have any info to offer there. I was previously using a Vibra Prime which wasn’t bad, but a hell of a lot slower compared to the Primer Pro. 

all you need to do w the primer pro is load the hopper up, turn it on and start loading. 

I hope that info helps

I have found with the Primer Pro, cleaning every 5K rounds helps greatly.  After cleaning, I usually use Simple green to clean the bowl, the plate, and the ramp.  Once clean and dry I spray Pledge (Yes the Lemon scented furniture polish Pledge) into a rag and "polish" the bowl, place and feed ramp.  This help keep the surfaces of the plastic slicker.  Then I assemble the plate back onto the bowl, only using finger tight pressure.  I will play with that pressure/tension applied using your fingers to tighten the screws that hold the plate to the bowl depending on which Primer I am using.  I have not used Fiocchi primers.  I have used CCI, Federal and Servicios Aventuras Primers without issue.  I have noted that I need different screw pressure to efficiently feed the primer being used.  

On 2/23/2024 at 6:45 AM, darthdively said:

Do you all still like your primer pro? Any headaches? Pretty consistent? Do you really need more than just the one tube?

1. Yes

2. Some primers don't feed as quickly. I suspect it's because they have rougher edges.

3. Yes.

4. No. After the first 100 you begin reloading and by the time you need more primers the next magazine tube is refilled.

Notes: A dry lube rubbed on the plastic (not silicone) will help the primers feed quicker. The last 3 - 5 primers in the bin will not feed to the tube.