Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ZRTS Long Stroke - so worth it

uhmeebuh

After having two Q5 SFs, I decided to pick up a PDP SF and give it a shot.  My LGS made me a deal I couldn’t say no to and the usual set of upgrades started….and didn’t go all that well IMO.  

The same recoil spring issues are present with the PDP SF that were on the Q5 SF - as you lower the spring weight, the lock up tension is so low that it doesn’t stay in battery well and caused a few issues.   I tried the various lighter trigger and striker springs with no luck.  I liked the PDP SF more than the Q5 SF but these same issues due to the short recoil spring were disappointing.  

I noticed the PDP SF slide has a plastic insert that could be removed so I tried a few old recoil guide rod and spring combos but none fit the guide rod hole.  I gave up for a few days and saw a Velox training video that referenced a “long stroke” guide rod.  Sounded sexy so I looked it up and sure enough, ZRTS makes a captive, long stroke guide rod, spring setup.  

A few days later it was in my hands and it’s awesome - really changes the impulse in a better way, is finally a more appropriate spring rate for low power factor ammo, and has a much better lock up.  

I assume some sort of adapter ring will open up non-captive guide rod/spring options but the ZRTS is a good all in one solution.   I have a buddy that I’ll chat with about making a 3D printed option.  

I’m curious how it will age but only one way to find out!

10 hours ago, WxGuy said:

Nice review.  Does your SF have a red dot or irons when running this guide rod system?

I run a 507 comp on my competition guns - too hard to find plates (if any) for the romeo 3 XL and just not a fan of the SRO any more due to cost and too small of a dot.   Nothing wrong with either - used both for many seasons.  I'm giving the 507 a shot and liking the big window, easier to change battery, and larger "dot" (I run the horseshoe only).  As with all of this YMMV ;-)

23 hours ago, uhmeebuh said:

The same recoil spring issues are present with the PDP SF that were on the Q5 SF - as you lower the spring weight, the lock up tension is so low that it doesn’t stay in battery well and caused a few issues.

If one uses a lower spring weight and the lockup is not good enough, how does the ZR guide rod improve on that when it also uses a lower weight 14 lbs spring? I am not good at pistol mechanics and I am trying to understand that.

Can you replace recoil spring on this guide rod? I looked at their site photos and can't figure it out.

Edited by YVK

On 2/11/2024 at 6:54 PM, YVK said:

If one uses a lower spring weight and the lockup is not good enough, how does the ZR guide rod improve on that when it also uses a lower weight 14 lbs spring? I am not good at pistol mechanics and I am trying to understand that.

Can you replace recoil spring on this guide rod? I looked at their site photos and can't figure it out.

No issues with lockup 14 seems to be the sweet spot. Also yes it’s just a ismi spring . 
My polymer pdp has a 11lb recoil spring , lucky 7 ports , reduced striker . As long as I keep it oiled it has no issues with lockup however most people will run 13lb . The steel frame without changing the striker will function fine with 15/14lb if you go lower you will have to change out striker to a reduced one to counter lockup. 

best thing is to see what the gun will run then video it to the side see which one runs the flattest without to much muzzle dip etc . 

A couple folks on reddit are saying that when running this guide rod on the plastic PDP, the slide may contact the sear and/ or ejector. Has anyone noticed any unusual wear in this regard? I just ordered one myself -- hopefully it isn't an issue!

13 hours ago, urmaker45 said:

No issues with lockup 14 seems to be the sweet spot. Also yes it’s just a ismi spring . 

I presume that if there is no lockup issues with 14 lbs spring mounted on full length rod, there should be no issues with 14 lbs spring mounted on standard length rod.

I got Rune guide rod with their spring pack for testing. 

9 hours ago, YVK said:

I presume that if there is no lockup issues with 14 lbs spring mounted on full length rod, there should be no issues with 14 lbs spring mounted on standard length rod.

Yes sir their will be no issues with a 14lb spring I own two full size pdp and 1 steel frame pdp. As long as you don’t go down to a 13lb you should be fine with lockup. If it does just throw a reduced striker in there . I’ve got about 50/60k rounds between the three and two have reduced strikers no issues with primers .

On 2/13/2024 at 12:28 PM, YVK said:

guys it's important to know that the length of the spring matters a lot. the zr long stroke uses an ismi 14 pounder but the spring is super long. the longer it is, the more compressed it is when its in the gun. more compression is more force to keep the slide closed at rest.

the weight of the spring isnt enough to determine what will work across two different guns

On 2/13/2024 at 9:42 PM, urmaker45 said:

Yes sir their will be no issues with a 14lb spring I own two full size pdp and 1 steel frame pdp. As long as you don’t go down to a 13lb you should be fine with lockup. If it does just throw a reduced striker in there . I’ve got about 50/60k rounds between the three and two have reduced strikers no issues with primers .

what reduced striker springs are you using?

3 hours ago, dsmarty386 said:

guys it's important to know that the length of the spring matters a lot. the zr long stroke uses an ismi 14 pounder but the spring is super long. the longer it is, the more compressed it is when its in the gun. more compression is more force to keep the slide closed at rest.

14 pounder loaded on a standard length rod may be no less compressed because it has to fit on a shorter rod. Assuming constant rate springs, what you're saying will only hold true if long rod's spring is at least half inch longer in its relaxed state than spring loaded on a standard length rod. Do you know if that is the case?

24 minutes ago, YVK said:

14 pounder loaded on a standard length rod may be no less compressed because it has to fit on a shorter rod. Assuming constant rate springs, what you're saying will only hold true if long rod's spring is at least half inch longer in its relaxed state than spring loaded on a standard length rod. Do you know if that is the case?

hmm good question im not sure but i feel like its likely that it is

i talked to the guy at zr tactical about the long stroke guide rod for my 5" pdp and he said the 14lb on the long stroke is a custom, extra long and wider inner diameter ismi spring 

that being said, i am running an 11lb glock ismi spring on my standard length guide rod so i think youll be ok

Ran 80 rounds of mixed 100g-150g ammo with various power factors from 111 to 139 with the long stroke.  It ran everything!  Have to order a spare now!! 

Edited by WxGuy

I shot about 50 rounds through my poly 5" PDP, standard trigger. There didn't appear to be any unusual wear as some have indicated, however, I did notice on the ZRT website, they state that the long stroke guide rod is for SF pistols only. I believe they previously stated that it was for both poly and SF 5" models. I guess a phone call is in order.

• 2 months later...

I've been a Glock guy for 24 years and finally going to try a new platform.  I have my first PDP(a PDP Pro SD 5.1") coming in tomorrow and also have a ZRT captured SS 15lb rod coming as well.  

I'd be curious to hear opinions on the difference between this and the Long Stroke.