Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

starting point for 700X @130 PF

Nimitz

Hi all

I'm starting up reloading after a long break and found a box of 225 rds of 9mm that I reloaded a while back when I couldn't get any WST.  the box says 700x. I pulled one rd and it was a 147 grain bullet w/5.4g of 700X.  I looked in my reloading database and the only thing I have is data for 115g/3.6 g of 700X for a PF of 106 (an old steel challenge load).  

For a 147g bullet 5.4g of 700x does not seem right to get  around 130 PF .... so

anyone have any 9mm  load data for 700x with 115g/124g/147g bullets?

If my load data for the 115g is correct I don't think I want to try and shoot the 147g/5.4g reloads?

The Hodgdon data for a 147gr Hornady XTP bullet maxs out at 2.9gr with only a 123 power factor. There COAL is at 1.100", that I would consider short for that weight bullet.

A lead or plated bullet with a longer OAL is likely to allow getting where you want.

23 minutes ago, Farmer said:

Are you sure it’s 700X in them?

Exactly, something isn't as it seems. That or someone was drunk, high, or both when they loaded those, lol.

22 minutes ago, 4n2t0 said:

Exactly, something isn't as it seems. That or someone was drunk, high, or both when they loaded those, lol.

😄 That or put them in the closest available box. That load is closer to HS6 or AA7 and those two would definitely be easy to distinguish from 700X. 

I'm going to pull a few more bullets to see what's up.  I'm sure its 700x and the one bullet I pulled weighed 146.8 grains. OAL is 1.15

since I have WST now I may just pull them all to be safe & reload the cases with WST which is what I've been using forever and have good load data ...

30 minutes ago, Nimitz said:

well I pulled a few more and they were all 5.5g  with 147g bullets ... looks like I'm just going to pull them all and reload with WST ...

Probably best, although I doubt you would have loaded that much 700x. Is the powder flake with yellow markers? Like these:

Link 1

Link 2

If you don't care, tell my curious ass to faq off, I'll understand.

Edited by 4n2t0

so the power was definitely those gray flat disks - didn't see any yellow makers but I didn't look that close. 

So thinking back 2 years ago I was shooting with Ben Stoeger and the morning of the 2nd day I loaded up my mags and the first round I fired ended up cracking the slide of my STI Steelmaster.  at the time we just thought I somehow had double charged a load but with WST that would have been really had to do ... I'm now thinking that I had grabbed this box of loaded 700X rds and that was the first rd fired ... :(

This is all starting to make sense now which means I DEFINITELY do not want to shoot these rds ... appreciate everyone's help in getting to the bottom of this - at least I didn't load 2000 rds with 700X ... :)

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old topic, but 700x I have loaded has yellow dots in it, just like Red Dot!

Sorry just saw where this was pointed out!

Edited by fotog54