Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

327/627 and the .38 Super

gnappi

1 hour ago, Vic said:

From all the reading on these types of threads, it looks like even 9mm has its problems, from bullet creep to accuracy. Not sure why anyone with a 627 would want to piss with anything else but the 38 short colt? easy peasy.

I generally agree with you.  38 shorts have served me well.  I'm interested in the Supers for a niche I'm trying to fill.

My bit of testing of the shorts loaded to 38 super specs showed good accuracy, zero bullet creep etc.  I'm just wondering if I'll get decent case life due to my heavy ish roll crimp in the lube groove .

Jason

20 minutes ago, Makicjf said:

I generally agree with you.  38 shorts have served me well.  I'm interested in the Supers for a niche I'm trying to fill.

My bit of testing of the shorts loaded to 38 super specs showed good accuracy, zero bullet creep etc.  I'm just wondering if I'll get decent case life due to my heavy ish roll crimp in the lube groove .

Jason

Its easy to get major pf with 38 specials and I have worked up 2 major pf loads with 38 short colt cases.  And using Starline brass can use my good moons.

4 hours ago, Vic said:

From all the reading on these types of threads, it looks like even 9mm has its problems, from bullet creep to accuracy. Not sure why anyone with a 627 would want to piss with anything else but the 38 short colt? easy peasy.

Agreed.

4 hours ago, Vic said:

Agreed.

Guys:

Yes, you can normally 'get er done'.  Have done it a lot but if you want it done right, use the right tool and supplies.  Saves a lot of time and money.   The big issue is this.  Does a Super fill a requirement in a manner superior to a SC or other .38 cal cartridge?  If so, avoid a bunch of wasted time and resources and either buy a 627-4 or get a cylinder reamed.  

Brain has a limited amount of working memory space.  Getting the gear made for what ever purpose you have means you will dedicate that working memory to shooting and not thoughts about the loads you know are in the red zone or some other thing you bodged to get the blaster to work.

Just my view.  Way easier to get a cylinder reamed and use.38 Super brass to get the performance of a .38 Super than dealing with excessive pressures, loads for cold and hot weather, etc.

GG