Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mounting the new-style CR Speed Versa Pouch

MoNsTeR

I treated myself to a brand new belt and some new pouches. I've had a set of CR Speed pouches since 2003, but they are the old design with a solid back and no set screw, versus the new ones with the "C-Bax" open back design and an included set screw.

I found that the pouches are very loose on the belt. My old ones have a shim inserted inside the belt tunnel, which really locks them in place (I remember needing to use a hammer). To my surprise, the new ones include 3 different shims: thin, medium, and thick. I had assumed that the pouches would be relatively tight on the belt, and the set screw would lock them in, but that's not the case. I tried the shims... the thin one falls right out, the medium one won't fall out but can be easily pushed in or pulled out, and the thick one (which looks like the old ones) would require tools to get all the way in.

What I ended up doing is using the medium shims, placed on top so that the set screw bears on the shim rather than the belt. Then snug up the set screws. Does that seem reasonable? The instructions -- which are clearly old -- don't even mention the shims or the set screw.

How are people actually putting these together?

• 2 weeks later...

I just received the new CR Speed mag pouches with the C-Bax brackets. Also got the Shooters Connection Ultimate Competition belt. The brackets fit the belt snugly and I used the set screw to anchor them in place. Didn’t know about any belt spacers but knew about the spacers for the different mag sizes. Let me check on the instructions that came with the pouches. 

The C-Bax are very dependent upon belt thickness.

If the belt is too thin they can be sloppy although the set screw has firmed them up for me.

If too thick they are not usable at all.

For example there is no way they will slide onto a Dominate Defense belt. DAA belt.won't work either.

57 minutes ago, ddc said:

The C-Bax are very dependent upon belt thickness.

If the belt is too thin they can be sloppy although the set screw has firmed them up for me.

If too thick they are not usable at all.

For example there is no way they will slide onto a Dominate Defense belt. DAA belt.won't work either.

They can fit on DAA belts, just have to use more force than normal. My usual method is to put the bracket in a vice and feed the belt through. Once its through a little you can grab it with pliers and pull it more, then finally pull it to its resting position. Don't even need the set screw if you do it that way, TBH. I have 2X DAA belts set up that way. 

7 hours ago, SSGJohnV said:

They can fit on DAA belts, just have to use more force than normal. My usual method is to put the bracket in a vice and feed the belt through. Once its through a little you can grab it with pliers and pull it more, then finally pull it to its resting position. Don't even need the set screw if you do it that way, TBH. I have 2X DAA belts set up that way. 

Good to know. I have to admit I was going off of what DAA says on their website.

As far as Dominate Defense is concerned I initially considered a brute force method like that but I chickened out when It looked like I'd be abusing the belt more than I was comfortable with.

It might work if I was as gung ho as you!

On 2/16/2024 at 6:07 PM, ddc said:

Good to know. I have to admit I was going off of what DAA says on their website.

As far as Dominate Defense is concerned I initially considered a brute force method like that but I chickened out when It looked like I'd be abusing the belt more than I was comfortable with.

It might work if I was as gung ho as you!

The newer Versa pouches (V2 designation) have been revised to resolve those issues. Fitting on DAA or Dominate belts should be much easier with the current bracket version. We only have the V2 in stock at Shooters Connection nowadays. Let us know if we can help!

1 hour ago, SSGJohnV said:

The newer Versa pouches (V2 designation) have been revised to resolve those issues. Fitting on DAA or Dominate belts should be much easier with the current bracket version. We only have the V2 in stock at Shooters Connection nowadays. Let us know if we can help!

Thank you. I did not realize there was a revised version.

I'd guess mine are the original version.

At least 5 or 6 years old and likely more.

23 hours ago, ddc said:

Thank you. I did not realize there was a revised version.

I'd guess mine are the original version.

At least 5 or 6 years old and likely more.

You can order just the bracket if you wanna upgrade. 

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Browse-by-Manufacturer/CR-Speed/CR-Mag-Pouches/CR-Speed-C-Bax-Versa-II-Pouch-Belt-Bracket