Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When did .357 SIG get approved for Limited Major?

mreed911

Anyone know when that rule changed to include .357 SIG (but not 9mm Luger/Para)?  Was it at the same time Open removed the minimum caliber requirement (instead moving to a minimum grain weight of 112)?

IPSC has allowed it for more than a decade to help out the Aussies that can't have anything over 9mm diameter.

USPSA effective Jan 1 2015.

Because basically no advantage over .40, unlike a smaller case like 9x19 would be.

Since then it's been, er...  not popular.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.  Not considering it (don't have anything chambered for it) and agree about losing capacity for a larger case vs. still a 9mm bullet.

Also likely easier/softer to download 40 to 165-170 vs. upload 9mm to 9 major.

Edited by mreed911

I'm probably the only weirdo in the country that actually have a Limited gun setup for .357sig.  I took a 9mm barrel for a CZ TSO and rechambered it to .357sig.  Shooting 135gr S&S Casting at major is actually softer than .40.  

Just took the same gun and put an optic on it.  Plan to mess around in LO this indoor winter season shooting minor.  Stupid soft shooting in a heavy gun.  

33 minutes ago, aandabooks said:

I'm probably the only weirdo in the country that actually have a Limited gun setup for .357sig.  I took a 9mm barrel for a CZ TSO and rechambered it to .357sig.  Shooting 135gr S&S Casting at major is actually softer than .40.  

Just took the same gun and put an optic on it.  Plan to mess around in LO this indoor winter season shooting minor.  Stupid soft shooting in a heavy gun.  

Let us know how it goes.  I was just surprised - I hadn't realized minimum caliber included .357 sig but not 9mm yet.  :)

40 minutes ago, mreed911 said:

Let us know how it goes.  I was just surprised - I hadn't realized minimum caliber included .357 sig but not 9mm yet.  :)

You CAN shoot 9mm ... in minor.  You're only allowed to push it to Major in Open.  .357 Sig is another issue.

Just now, Schutzenmeister said:

You CAN shoot 9mm ... in minor.  You're only allowed to push it to Major in Open.  .357 Sig is another issue.

Exactly my point.

2 hours ago, MHicks said:

Do you have easy inexpensive access to .357 brass or is it easy to make out of 40 brass.

It's easy to make out of 40 brass. That's all I shot for years and was free from the police using our ranges.