Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Don't leave a station with the last hit on steel

flyinverted

Saw a couple of people do this last week on a stage that had paper and steel from 4 shooting locations. 

I shot paper, paper steel and never missed and apparently got lucky.

Saw a couple people hit steel, run and the steel never fell. An pro came over and suggested "Never leave on steel" and now that makes sense.

I'll put steel first moving forward in areas there's paper and steel.

Seems like bad advice I also once followed. The real solution is to be confident in your shot calling. There WILL be situations where if your engagement order is in a way that you won’t shoot steel last you will be leaving time on the table.

What game ?  If its USPSA unless rule has changed.  Hit steel that doesnt fall is a Range failure and reshoot.
You shoot a stage in the most  efficient manner.  and hits arnt luck, its not a Turkey shoot. 
Not a pro, and dont dress like a Nascar dude but I know one thing. If you shoot to lose you will. Shoot to win you might.

20 hours ago, Joe4d said:

What game ?  If its USPSA unless rule has changed.  Hit steel that doesnt fall is a Range failure and reshoot.

Only if it fails calibration and only poppers are subject to calibration 4.3.1.5.  I'm not a M or GM shooter and just enjoy the competition.so happy to shoot a clean stage.

you didnt mention poppers,, yeh poppers have to fall..  Why you dont walk the line on power factor.. 
Again though,,, you shoot to get your best score,, shooting to guarantee "clean" will also guarantee you dont get your best score.. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/28/2024 at 8:33 AM, Tunachaser said:

Only if it fails calibration and only poppers are subject to calibration 4.3.1.5.

Not quite - plates that don't fall are an automatic REF/reshoot (rule 4.3.1.6) precisely because of calibration only applying to poppers. That's why plates (and Texas stars) are very rarely seen at higher level matches. 

9 minutes ago, shred said:

That and being banned now from L3 and up.

Did not know that.

Shooting Texas Star is fun but resetting it is annoying/tedious. I would rather not shoot Texas star in the end though

Never saw a Texas star scored IAW the rule book for an entire squad.. and that included Nationals. They are fun for locals, I will admit. But not reliable enough for serious match use where schedules are tight.  REF start to be let go.. Either plates dont fall with edge its, or the fall when an arm is hit,, or if a plate above them falls and knocks anoother off.

Resetting Texas star can be done very efficiently and by one person, but there are many (sort of) wrong ways of doing it that require more people or are tedious. 

For one person the process is to collect the plates and stack all of them flat on the support housing above the ball bearing with bases offset by about 10-20 degrees so it's easy to grab each plate by the stem. When they are all ready, insert them one at a time at the arm positioned at 90 degrees, using one hand to pick up the next stacked plate and the other to hold the arm at 90 degrees against the weight of the plates already on the star. This way there is only one step of picking up the plates and another of inserting them while standing up and only advancing the star by one arm at a time. 

But you guys are right, I've never seen a whole squad get through a Texas star cleanly and getting scored truly correctly. It's usually "keep shooting until clear" whether it hits the arm, a plate knocks down another plate or a plate requires more than one shot. It's fun and it works out at local matches, but not acceptable when people get too serious about competitiveness.