Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Occasional Half Cock When Shooting Fast

Shot the Prodigy with a 7# recoil spring at a club match last Thursday.  No half cock.  The gun feels good and doesn’t hold me back in any way.  Any deficiencies are all me.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 4.25 and was getting an occasional double.  It has EGW guts and Red Dirt trigger and had an extremely short, but still very pronounced reset.  I'm not sure if the gun was doubling or I was bump-firing (or maybe they are essentially the same), but I would get an unintentional third shot with a FAST split when raging on close targets.  Adding sear spring tension helped, but it didn't completely go away.  I backed out my overtravel screw two full turns and solved the problem.  While I really liked the super short reset, I suspect it was too short for my own good.  

I have the EGW guide rod and use 11 pound Glock springs with some coils removed (I think I ended up at 1.5).  Reducing the spring never helped the doubling.  

6 hours ago, deerslayer said:

I have a 4.25 and was getting an occasional double.  It has EGW guts and Red Dirt trigger and had an extremely short, but still very pronounced reset.  I'm not sure if the gun was doubling or I was bump-firing (or maybe they are essentially the same), but I would get an unintentional third shot with a FAST split when raging on close targets.  Adding sear spring tension helped, but it didn't completely go away.  I backed out my overtravel screw two full turns and solved the problem.  While I really liked the super short reset, I suspect it was too short for my own good.  

I have the EGW guide rod and use 11 pound Glock springs with some coils removed (I think I ended up at 1.5).  Reducing the spring never helped the doubling.  

What you described and the eventual solution you found was due to Bump Firing. When the trigger is light and the over travel is set to a minimal distance you need to grip the gun HARD to keep it from shifting around within your hand during recoil. The more the gun shifts round within your hand the more opportunity bump fire has to happen.

6 hours ago, deerslayer said:

What you described and the eventual solution you found was due to Bump Firing. When the trigger is light and the over travel is set to a minimal distance you need to grip the gun HARD to keep it from shifting around within your hand during recoil. The more the gun shifts round within your hand the more opportunity bump fire has to happen.