Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Annual Maintenance or Spring Replacement for S2?

nitrohuck

This will be my second year going into the shooting season running a Shadow 2 Orange, 

I obtained the gun from another forum member last year, and did not really do anything to it, I simply just started running it and it ran great all season. 

This year I'm wondering if I should do some preventative maintenance or spring replacement, and want your all's input on what you all do in order to make sure your S2 keeps running. 

Note: I did replace the slide stop with a low profile one, so that is still pretty new. My understanding is that part is destined to fail at some point, but I don't think I'll need to worry about it this year. 

As a rule, I replace every spring typically at the beginning of the year. Doing this, I haven’t had any problems in the 7 years I've shot CZ’s

Functionally speaking, you’re looking at less than $50 to replace them. Basically a couple match fees or so.

I usually change the recoil spring every 5k. The hammer, trigger return, firing pin spring every 10k. I don't like to do the extractor that often even though I have spares. I've never changed any of the other springs. Does anyone change the sear spring regularly?

For production mags I used to just buy new mec-gar mags every couple years at $20 a pop and use the old ones for practice/local matches only. CO mags should probably have springs replaced every year or so.

Edited by Haywizzle

3 hours ago, nitrohuck said:

This will be my second year going into the shooting season running a Shadow 2 Orange, 

I obtained the gun from another forum member last year, and did not really do anything to it, I simply just started running it and it ran great all season. 

This year I'm wondering if I should do some preventative maintenance or spring replacement, and want your all's input on what you all do in order to make sure your S2 keeps running. 

Note: I did replace the slide stop with a low profile one, so that is still pretty new. My understanding is that part is destined to fail at some point, but I don't think I'll need to worry about it this year. 

I did a full spring replacement at the one year mark which was about 12k on my S2. I use a pretty light recoil spring so I replace that shock buffer about every 4-5k or when it starts to look worn. In the future I will probably replace extractor springs more frequently- every 5-8k as mine was noticeably shorter (about 2 coils) and I was starting to get FTE’s.  A lot of local guys are running or will recommend the HD extractor springs

Edited by ColoradoNick

Not just the extractor spring, but i also recommend a thorough cleaning of the extractor channel and the extractor itself every 5k or so rounds.  Worth it to swap in a new spring too then, especially if you end up needing to re-zero an optic to get in there.

Dirty extractor will give you symptoms similar to a weak mag spring, where the new round stripped off the mag gets part way into the chamber and stops short, it typically will not go to battery and the rim will not get all the way under the extractor claw.  It'll happen intermittently at first then get progressively worse.