Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Springs For Idpa & Limited 10

Cjblackmon

I have two different choices for .45 ammo loads.

1) 200 grain SWC, 168pf

2) 230 grain Ball, 168pf

What springs would you IDPA or Limited 10 guys recommend for a Smith & Wesson PC1911 and a Springfield Leatham Legend TGO1 running that kind of load?

Since dropping Recoil Spring Weight, would it be safe to assume that a Buffer is a must?

I run a 170PF load through my L10 gun. I use a 12.5lb ISMI spring and I run 2 shock buffs on my guide rod. I run a Wilson blue on the front and a red on the back. I have no issues at all with the reliability, and my slide does lock back.

Thanks for the input guys!

A buddy that got me my loads shoots a Springer amd gave me a 12# spring to see how I like it. I shot it in a Single Stack Match that night and it's a world of difference!! I also had no jams, FTF's or FTE's. I can't believe that there's that much difference in recoil and control.

It's funny that everyone here that says they use a 12# spring uses a shock buff. I ran my PC1911 without it and it worked fine. A lot of the guys I shoot Single Stack Matches and IDPA don't like buffers because it can make the gun jam. I understand that the reduced recoil spring will make the slide to frame contact higher and harder.

I guess it's the old debate of "Buffers" to "No Buffers"

Running a Buffer makes sense, don't get me wrong, I just have a lot of conflicting opinions (from top notch competitors I might add) on not running a Buffer.

I tried running a 14# spring in my Kimber with Major 230gr. loads and loved the feel, but I was getting some peening on the guide rod "wings" and slide. Unfortunately, buffers don't seem to work in my gun. I'm back with a 16# spring.

I like my 15# with one blue buffer set up with factory ball. Just have to keep the bearing surfaces clean and slick.

Incidentally, I have always run a blue shock buff in my Kimber with no problems that can be traced to its use. Feed problems were always operator error, mags, and/or a overly dirty gun.