Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 650 Problem since changing #5 shell plate

Need ideas. Changed the damaged #5 shell plate and it works great. This never happened with old plate. Same wire ejector and even used a spare. Since changing it every once in a while a finished round gets cocked crooked under the wire ejector causing the plate to snap and spill powder out of the other cases. Mostly would catch it and remove that case, but apparently have missed a couple and had definite low powder rounds fired. Not quite a squib, bullet leaves the barrel, but cause to stop and check.

Tried bending the wire with no success. Tried after market products that eliminate the wire. Had my son make one on his 3d printer. Better, but still catches, not as bad when the plate snaps. Bought a metal one and it still does it although also not as bad as the wire. Inconsistent with brass brands and plate slots.

Ideas? Could the plate be slightly off? Have removed plate and lubed and adjusted it for smooth operation. All good except for this.

gerritm

4 minutes ago, gerritm said:

Changed the damaged #5 shell plate and it works great. This never happened with old plate. Same wire ejector and even used a spare. Since changing it every once in a while a finished round gets cocked crooked under the wire ejector causing the plate to snap and spill powder out of the other cases.

It has been my experience the new plate from Dillon are machined to a tighter tolerance. You are going to have to experiment with the ejector spring to get the round to start out a bit sooner. The closer the spring is to the plate the better it works.

1 hour ago, HesedTech said:

It has been my experience the new plate from Dillon are machined to a tighter tolerance. You are going to have to experiment with the ejector spring to get the round to start out a bit sooner. The closer the spring is to the plate the better it works.

I have tried experimenting.  Kinda strange it does it with 2 different ejector wires and 2 different after market parts.  

39 minutes ago, gerritm said:

I have tried experimenting.  Kinda strange it does it with 2 different ejector wires and 2 different after market parts.  

Yes the solid ejector didn’t help me.  The recommendation to clean and polish the plate is probably the fix.  

Is the hole the wire goes into clean? I know when i had issues id keep trying to fix it but get it going for another 50-100 rds before it would pop up again. after cleaning the hole one time I got 1000+ before issues

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So after trying everything that was recommended I finally used my head and called Dillon CS. Basically no wait to talk to a very helpful gentleman. He asked me some basic questions and decided to send me a new #5 shellplate with an RMA return envelope prepaid.. Got it in a couple of days and changed it out. Ran 100 rounds with no issues.

Gotta love great companies & customer service.

gerritm

On 1/3/2024 at 2:42 PM, gerritm said:

So after trying everything that was recommended I finally used my head and called Dillon CS. Basically no wait to talk to a very helpful gentleman. He asked me some basic questions and decided to send me a new #5 shellplate with an RMA return envelope prepaid.. Got it in a couple of days and changed it out. Ran 100 rounds with no issues.

Gotta love great companies & customer service.

gerritm

Do you see any differences between the old & new shell plates?

• 2 weeks later...