Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

More Dillon 1100 priming issues

I recently purchased a new 1100 after 25 years with a 550 and 650 with the plan to automate it in the future. I’m loading 9mm using roll sized Federal once fired brass and CCI primers. Right from the start it’s crushing primers sideways into the pocket at about a 20 % rate. No issues with primers feeding into the slide from the tube.
I tried the zip tie on the primer arm trick from YouTube and that helped some but did not eliminate the problem, still crushed 4 out of 50.  
I disassembled, cleaned, and lubed and watched all the Dillon videos to ensure everything is adjusted properly. 

Any other ideas?

IMG_2226.jpeg.b741dd4833b77703470a2ec067be5db2.jpeg

For what it’s worth, my 1100 press started doing that with .40 brass after loading with no trouble for some years. Dillon customer service said I needed to swage the primer pockets. Which I was not doing. Once I started doing that, it solved the problem. why it occurred in the first place after so much time I don’t know. If that’s not NATO brass, and is indeed, federal, it’s very weird

Edited by midatlantic

I am a long term Dillon user but an RL1100 newbie, but my speculation is that maybe the seating depth is short? Seems they would be crushed/popped if they didn't go in straight?  Also, even if they are commercial cases, if you lightly touched the pockets with the swager I wouldn't see the harm in that? 

The main reason I bought the 1100 was because I have tens of thousands of 9mm cases that have crimped brass mixed in, so I just run it all through the 1100.  I am not doing light loads but not doing major loads, but have had no issues with doing it this way. 

IMO, if you remove a crimp on a crimped case, and you run a commercial case through the same process, it is not going to leave the pocket shaped differently than the crimped case that needed it. 

I set up the swage station using crimped cases adjusting until it would seat a primer.  Brass is from a private training range and is 100% once fired Federal. It loads great on my 650. I do have a cut-away case ordered for easier swage set up.

Seating depth on the rounds that the primer seats straight are to the correct depth.

I have run the press at different speeds observing the slide and all primers appear to be seated in the slide correctly. 

Edited by AKJD

The primers look as though they were laying sideways in the primer shuttle and as you pulled the handle it attempted to push it in sideways. At least #1 & #3 do. The crushed one in the middle looks like swaging though it could be the same as the other two. Is your powder measure sticking on your case flarer? If it is it may be popping and the primer may jump on its side.

Apparently it just needed a thicker zip tie. This morning I decided to try a couple different ones and after switching to this one I was able to load 100 rounds with no issues!!!

Maybe Dillon should throw a zip tie in the box.

IMG_2228.jpeg.800a3235e8e85cbc0e36cde453a7ac63.jpeg

21 hours ago, slavex said:

Get the FM Arms Prime Time, will solve shuttle flick and jerky movement. 

what die do you have in the decapping station?

I’m using the Dillon size/decap die.

I ordered the FM Arms Prime Time and hold down for swage station and the level 10 hold down for the priming station yesterday.