Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FX-10

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Thomas918 said:

Yeah my rods are centered. The priming rod is maybe a touch off based off the mark it leaves on the primer on hard to prime cases. The rod is perfectly centered through the cutout on the shell plate and priming gear though so it seems perfectly centered based on that. I’m using ginex primers which are on the large size. This batch of brass was pulled off of a police range so the problem brass was crimped Winchester and a few European pieces. I had a few slivers of brass that was the remainder of a ring crimp that was pushed into the primer pocket from the swage rod. It didn’t allow the primer to seat and when the plate indexes it knocks the primer down and back into the gear and then gets caught up. Good news though, I haven’t had the first problem I had ages ago where the primer wheel was randomly catching on the upstroke so that’s a plus. I’ve kept the priming assembly cleaned and gunk free which solved that issue I think.

I’m going to PM you my number. I don’t articulate my cell very well on these forms but you seem like you were having the exact same problems I was which I have since worked out.

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get the FA bullet feeder setup and running with a Lyman/Mark7 powder check die. It's a tight fit and only have made about 600 rounds with it so far, but I am happy with it. I had to change the heights of the case feeder and bullet feeder due to door overhead clearance, but I have seen no downside to those changes.

Press4.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I just ran another 1000 on the machine. This time I sorted out all my crimped brass. I didn’t have one primer related stoppage the whole session. Or any other stoppage for that matter. At this point, I don’t think my swage rod is doing anything anymore. The top of the rod looks a little worn down, and when it does work it just rips the crimp ring and pushes it into the primer pocket. I’m becoming more happy with the press overall as I learn its quirks.

As a follow up, does anybody have any review on bullet feeder and its reliability? Any upside down bullets? Does it shave coated bullets? Does expanded and belled cases scrape in the bullet seating die? My seater die from Redding has a tight opening and it doesn’t like expanded cases. It even closes up the bell on the case as it’s seating bullets which strips the coating off my coated bullets. I may make the switch to the FA bullet feeder and die if everything has been working out for everyone.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/9/2024 at 6:47 AM, Thomas918 said:

Here is the assembly where the primers scrape in between the gear and housing

ISIMG-1034412.jpeg

Thanks for the pictures @Thomas918. I am dealing with the exact same issue. I recently purchased this POS because of the bearings which are nice, but nothing else is worth fifty cents. I've gone through four (4) complete Primer Assemblies trying to get the press to stop jamming. Just received my fourth and within three pulls of the press handle, JAM !!!!

So using these pictures tomorrow my Dremel will get a workout. I'll come back and let you know what happens.

@Thomas918 Good morning. About the press, before I turn mine into a new boat anchor, what did you do to fix and correct your issue???  I see where the primers are dragging but short of using a Dremel to the high areas how did you fix yours ??

On 3/10/2024 at 11:23 PM, Thomas918 said:

I just ran another 1000 on the machine. This time I sorted out all my crimped brass. I didn’t have one primer related stoppage the whole session. Or any other stoppage for that matter. At this point, I don’t think my swage rod is doing anything anymore. The top of the rod looks a little worn down, and when it does work it just rips the crimp ring and pushes it into the primer pocket. I’m becoming more happy with the press overall as I learn its quirks.

On my first set of Lee swage spuds the tips had fine machining rings on them and they did the same thing you’re explaining. Lee sent me some new ones that were smooth and it cured the rings of brass in the primer pockets. Might just take a close look at yours. I thought about polishing mine but they were replacing them so I didn’t. 

Edited by Farmer
Sp

Follow-up...

Me and my Dremel went to town today after some very minor grinding seem to make the press run better. Only one hang and that was fixed in a jiffy. So I took the primer assembly off and apart for the second time. Again did some fine grinding and ran about thirty primers without any jams.  So, I hope I'm not jinxing myself my saying that. My plans are to get out there tomorrow and see if I can get a hundred complete rounds to generate without issues....  With fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, GAMountains said:

Follow-up...

Me and my Dremel went to town today after some very minor grinding seem to make the press run better. Only one hang and that was fixed in a jiffy. So I took the primer assembly off and apart for the second time. Again did some fine grinding and ran about thirty primers without any jams.  So, I hope I'm not jinxing myself my saying that. My plans are to get out there tomorrow and see if I can get a hundred complete rounds to generate without issues....  With fingers crossed.

I finally had some luck by just not using crimped brass. The primers that were dragging inside the wheel and housing causing the damage you saw in my pictures, were primers that didn’t want to go into the primer pockets and got a little mangled. They then fell back down into the gear which caused a stoppage. I ran 1000 rounds without a single stoppage. 

56 minutes ago, dtuns said:

are you using hold down dies in swage and priming station?

Well close. I'm using an expander die in the primer station as a hold down die. My second station I have a Lee deprimer/decapper and the third station is a Dillon FL resizer/decapper die. My grinding with the Dremel seem to help stop the jams. I just lightly ground out the path the primers made above my primer wheel. I'll know more today. Been fighting this issue since this brand new press was delivered back in November '23. Only time will tell..

I use FW arms dynamic hold downs in swage and primer station. When I had expander in priming station I had a big variation in primer depths and swaging after I put hold down in both stations no longer an issue for me.

I’ve used my sizing die above the swaging station since I had the press. The included hold down die is in the priming station. I’ve noticed that the hold down die makes the tool head rock a lot(Variances in brass worsen it since I have it set pretty low/tight). I’m thinking of moving my sizing die into the priming station and removing the hold down die altogether. Since I’ve decided I’m not gonna use the swage station anymore I think that’s my best bet.

Any thoughts?

6 hours ago, Thomas918 said:

I’ve used my sizing die above the swaging station since I had the press. The included hold down die is in the priming station. I’ve noticed that the hold down die makes the tool head rock a lot(Variances in brass worsen it since I have it set pretty low/tight). I’m thinking of moving my sizing die into the priming station and removing the hold down die altogether. Since I’ve decided I’m not gonna use the swage station anymore I think that’s my best bet.

Any thoughts?

I had same issue with factory hold down then switched to FW arms dynamic hold downs they are spring loaded so case variation isn't a problem anymore for me.