Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mitutoyo caliper use for absolute function?

p5200

I've got this new caliper since the old one crapped out on me. The trouble is I have no clue what the absolute function is or, how to use it. I've been searching the net and just can't seem to find details of how to use the absolute function. Any help / links etc. Would be greatly appreciated! Thanks 🥹

After you zero somewhere in the middle of travel and do measurements there, you can press and hold ABS and it'll go back to distance from origin.  I think it's most valuable if you have the origin somewhere other than fully closed for some specialty measuring, but its convenient even if not.

• 4 months later...

Why?

Nothing we do requires the precision name brands (mitu, starret etc) offer over decent cheap callipers. 

In fact most decent cheap callipers will read the same as the expensive brands and only advantage more expensive ones have is battery life. (No joke, expensive ones turn off, cheap ones only turn off the display but keep draining the battery)

Assuming you have digital ones, if you have analogue ones buy a set of decent cheap callipers.

When measuring in absolute mode you're always measuring from an original origin, in this case it would be from the front stationary jaw which is what you want.

In incremental mode the zero point "travels". So you can move the moving jaw to another spot, say 1.000" and zero it there and all measuring will come from that point. In effect, the zero point moves to another position. 

You could Google absolute vs incremental measurement for more information.