Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Sig P320 X5 looking for 9mm 147gr bulltet for reloading

kmaultsby

There is a lot on the forum about the lack of accuracy for the stock P320 barrels using 147 gr bullets at Power Factors (PF) of around 130.  The bullet is traveling too slow.    

I have done extensive testing to figure this out and it seems to come down to velocity.  To get any bullet to be accurate I found a minimum of 1050 FPS was required regardless of the bullet weight.  The barrel seems to hate slower velocities which 147 gr bullets get loaded to for 125 -130 PF.  I found the faster the bullet out that barrel the more accurate it tends to be proven through groupings and testing at different velocities.  I also noted a rather large change in Point of Impact shift when shifting between ammo that have vastly different velocities.  

Keep in mind this is with the stock barrels.  I did not see this with the Barstow after market barrels I have switched to.  

I load just about any ammo to at least 1100 FPS with 124gr bullets to ensure accuracy and that I make PF when traveling to Level 2 and up matches that chrono ammo. 

• 3 weeks later...