Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Bore Cleaning Regards To Reloads ?

WildWest N AZ

Ive been using TG, and N-320 at very lite loads to see what I like? My ? is that Ive noticed that my barrel is the dirtiest Ive ever seen also its after about 300 rounds or so. Its leaving a thick deposit of sut in the riffling and its very difficult to clean out makes cleaning abit of a pain now. What is causing this and does it have any ill affects on my accuracy while shooting ect? I know that lite loads are dirty but that dirty? Also I have a feeling that N-320 could be causing it and not the TG Ill find that out tomarrow. Thanks for the Help.

Just make sure that you shoot copper jacketed bullets and keep the chamber clean, then nothing in the barrel will matter in the long run. I don't bother cleaning pistol bbl's anymore if they only get copper jacketed shot through them. The chamber and the ramp are all that really matter anyway as far as cleaning and reliability go. Accuracy will not be an issue unless you shooting lead and letting it buildup.

Most likely it is the TG that is sooting up your barrel. It is notoriously dirty when not loaded to normal pressures as in a downloaded round. V320 on the other hand. in my experience, burns clean across a wide range of pressures.

It has been my exprerience that if you download, don't use TG.

OBTW, I use TiteGroup in every load it shoot at this time so I'm not bashing TG just expressing my experience with it :)

dj

Thanks I was just abit worried about accuracy issues because its getting that dirty. I use Zero JHP's so thats good. Just makes cleaning more of a pain! :o

V320 on the other hand. in my experience, burns clean across a wide range of pressures.

:)

dj

Man when I down loaded with 320 I thought it was very dirty. I also felt anything below 3.8gr wasnt that accurate. So I think 320 is better at abit hotter level at or above 4.0grs IMO.

Some folks might have thought George's post was in jest, but I agree with him and we follow this advice:

NEVER EVER CLEAN THAT GLOCK BARREL!!!!!

The only thing that ever touches the inside of my Glock barrel is bullets. The chamber? Sure, I twist a brush in there or use a brass scraper on stubborn fouling, but the barrel? NEVER. Results? I now have over 12,000 rounds on that barrel & I used it for GSSF in 2005 as part of Team Shooters Paradise GSSF I; our results are at www.gssfonline.com (we shot VA, MD, PA, and NJ). My current load is N310 under a Zero 147 but I used Titegroup early on.

I know it must sound crazy to some folks, but I've been following that routine & it works. Please consider it. I am certain that it will solve the problem you posted:

"Ive noticed that my barrel is the dirtiest Ive ever seen also its after about 300 rounds or so. Its leaving a thick deposit of sut in the riffling and its very difficult to clean out makes cleaning abit of a pain now."

Regards,

D.C. Johnson

Some folks might have though George's post was in jest, but I agree with him and we follow this advice:

NEVER EVER CLEAN THAT GLOCK BARREL!!!!!

I know it must sound crazy to some folks, but I've been following that routine & it works. Please consider it. I am certain that it will solve the problem you posted:

Regards,

D.C. Johnson

It does sound nuts never heard that before? But from everything I heard and been told was that dirty barrels over time affect accuracy? I learn something new ever day! :D

What type of bullets are you using?

I've been playing with a comped barrel on my G17 for a few months now and noticed that running WWB though it left some significant lead deposits in the comp. Titegroup burns hot so it is possible if you are using open based FMJs that they are leaving some lead in the barrel.

My Glocks are the only guns I clean regularly. Bass ackwards!! :blink:

But taking them apart will not mess up the fine fit over time. :D

TG is a dirty, nasty powder under it starts pushing some pressure. 4.2gr with a 124/125 seems to be the threshold in my gun.

N320 is the best but expensive and scarce recently. TG is everywhere!

I'm not sure exactly why but I have to use 4.6 gr of TG to make major in my G22. It's actually a lot cleaner in the Glock than in my Para. For my Para I load 4.6 gr TG over a 200 gr LSWC and it gets really nasty. I guess the higher pressure of the .40 helps it stay cleaner. YMMV

JOe

Agree that TG is Sooty but have let a 34 with a KKM in it go 700-1K rounds with either Berry's or Zero's or M. Gold's with no problems? {34 has at least 15K thru with both OEM & KKM} Soot wipes right off the receiver and inside of the slide. SS brush does the breechface and hood/feedramp fast. Moderate soaking with Shooter's Choice loosens the bore gunk, then 50 passes with a brush gets the streaks out at the land and groove junctures. Compare "filthy" TG to a gun with the same round count of WST thru it, it's like shellac, glue and carbon all set-up together, IME. TG to me is pretty clean......

But yeah, never use bullets with any exposed lead that hot gas can get to either......

I clean my glock before every big match - whether its GSSF, USPSA, 3gun/Multigun, IDPA, etc. I clean the breachface, ramp, chamber, outside of barrel, rails, etc.

However, the only thing that has touched the inside of the barrel in 12000 rounds has been bullets.

Not an original idea; I stole it from Wil Schuemann:

www.schuemann.com

(from Wil's site above, under "barrel cleaning") "My personal practice has become to never clean the bore of my barrels. I do use a brass rod to scrape the deposits out of the chamber. But, I've learned to leave the bore alone and it very slowly becomes shinier and cleaner all by itself. Years ago I occasionally scrubbed the bore with a brass bore brush. But, doing so always seemed to cause the bore to revert to a dirtier look with more shooting, so I eventually stopped ever putting anything down the bore except bullets...

Good luck,

Wil "

Thanks Wil!! 12,000 rounds & going strong. BTW, Wil is a major USPSA sponsor.

Edited by Carlos

I have found that with my Tight Group loads, B)

38 spl w/158 plated 780fps used in a 686S&W-6" magported

40S&W w/180 precision 900fps G-22 match barrel

that using WSPM primers, I average about 10-15 fps increase

the most benefit is that there is less smoke and my barrel/pistol are cleaner than when using WSP primers.

I do drop out my G-22 barrel after every match and run a patch wet w/lube/cleaner, to keep it shiny and pretty :) the same for the 686S&W. No brush, just patch.

Try MPro7 bore gel. Put it in, Run a brush once and let it sit for a while. Send a bronze brush down about 10 -15 times. a few patches.. good as new. Best stuff out there and it doesn't stink.

It takes about 15 min to clean my Glock. I work on the slide and frame while the bore is brewing.

Back to the original question on this thread; about powders being dirty. I haven't reloaded much pistol in the last few years and have recently started again. I have been shooting CCI Blazer rounds and found them to be very clean. I read and read and researched before I bought components. I am shooting a Zero 147 grainer over 3.3 grains of Vihta Vuori N320 with a Fed primer in mixed brass at an overal length of 1.140 nominal.

Again, I can't compare it to other powders just to Blazer ammo and this stuff is very dirty. I shoot 200 rounds of this and my G34 looks like it went through 700 rounds of Blazer.

Is it because I am loading such a light load of N320?

Rick