Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

From Staccato to S&W, looking for best competition platform for me, seeking sage advice

joesnewmatch

Quick background - 51, grew up shooting, own lots of handguns.  Favorites were 1911 and Glocks.  

Last few years got into advanced training classes and also open steel challenges with no limitations.

This past year I bought a Staccato P when I stumbled on one and thought I would be the perfect marriage my favorite 1911 platform with double stack 9mm.

Great gun, super accurate, but the handle fatigues my smaller hands (don't get great purchase), the trigger is heavier than I'd like, and the safety is starting to get annoying.

During a recent class I handled a M&P Performance Center 5" ported model and it felt like goldilocks in my hand.  I never considered a S&W before, because when I got into Glocks, the S&W couldn't compete (90's) and I didn't keep up with the evolution of the M&P line.  Simply put, I couldn't get it out of my head.  Loved the backstrap, the texture, the 1911 grip angle, the pointability, etc.  I shot it and was impressed -- but found out the owner had installed both Apex trigger and barrel, so not stock.

I would like to add an M&P to my collection and looking for the best, flattest shooting, and most accurate and malfunction-free gun I can get.  The Competitor is interesting, but I might still change the trigger.  The PC Ported is about $700 and I'd be adding extra mags, trigger, possibly barrel (heard it was far more accurate at distance).  So it may be a wash?  

Curious if you would recommend the 5" PC Ported polymer, the 5" Aluminum Competitor, or something all together different.  4.25"?  I'm open, but leaning towards 5" flat shooting.

I've researched as much as I can online and on YouTube, and understand that the aluminum isn't necessarily better than the polymer.

Curious what you recommend in this context?  Not a carry gun.  Range training, steel challenge, home defense.  

What should I know?  What should I check out?   Thanks!

I have small hands and had same goldilocks when I held My first M&P I have a several different ones now. I love the competitor I havve 2 of them I put the overwatch precision trigger on mine and love it more than the apex triggers.

15 minutes ago, dtuns said:

I have small hands and had same goldilocks when I held My first M&P I have a several different ones now. I love the competitor I havve 2 of them I put the overwatch precision trigger on mine and love it more than the apex triggers.

I've been told the Apex is the best.  Have you compared the two?  Not challenging you, but curious what you like about it or why it may be better.

4 minutes ago, joesnewmatch said:

I've been told the Apex is the best.  Have you compared the two?  Not challenging you, but curious what you like about it or why it may be better.

Yes I have Apex in all of mine and went with the Overwatch cause Apex didn't have a trigger for metal guns at the time. Obviously everyone has there preferences but I really like the Overwatch triggers more than Apex Apex is a great trigger though. New stock flat trigger are pretty good out of the box. I feel trigger is more crisp and less take up than Apex.

Edited by dtuns

Thanks @dtuns!!!

If you don't mind, tell me what you like about the Competitor and if there's any dislikes or recommended mods beyond the trigger?  Is the barrel accuracy better on that model than the older models?  

I'm really not looking for a ported gun, but liked the options on the PC ported -- feel, weight, length. Of course, the one I shot had the sweet Apex barrel.  Are you happy with the accuracy in the Competitor's stock configuration?  

6 minutes ago, joesnewmatch said:

Thanks @dtuns!!!

If you don't mind, tell me what you like about the Competitor and if there's any dislikes or recommended mods beyond the trigger?  Is the barrel accuracy better on that model than the older models?  

I'm really not looking for a ported gun, but liked the options on the PC ported -- feel, weight, length. Of course, the one I shot had the sweet Apex barrel.  Are you happy with the accuracy in the Competitor's stock configuration?  

They are more accurate than the older models. I'm happy with the gun don't feel I need to upgrade anything else. Only complaint is I had to cut down the width of magwell for IDPA CO to fit the box I also shoot USPSA with it and just remove magwell.

I haven't shot the metal versions, but I have two 5" 2.0 Pro models with Timney triggers.  I like the Timney better than the apex.  I haven't tried any other triggers.  The Timney is a nice crisp 2lb trigger.  No reliability issues with either model and accuracy is good.  The best part is all factory springs are used.  Just the Timney sear in a new model with the flat face trigger would be perfect.  I prefer the flat face hinged trigger of the Timney better that the dingus model, but that is just personal preference.  The only complaint I have is there is not a flared mag well opening.  That's really only an issue with production or CO.  The TTI mag well is a nice addition if the division allows.   

I keep hoping s&w will come out with a steel version in the 43oz weight.

• 3 months later...

Same as hammerman.

I have the apex and timney in my 9mm and 10mm respectively.  The timney has less creep and grit.  The apex trigger pin is difficult to align with trigger and trigger bar.  

• 1 month later...

I picked up a new Competitor about a month ago and I am very happy with it. Flat shooting no perceived recoil or muzzle rise, very accurate and the trigger is really good, long take up but breaks clean and reset on this one is great. 

Guns are really their own worst enemy!

My Competitor can't group to save it's life.  Just ordered the KKM 5.0" barrel and want the Apex gunsmith install barrel when available.  I like the gun but you have to be weary there are issues with the barrels.

I have 2 Competitors, 1 nitride & 1 tungsten slide.

Love the guns. Have small hands and use the small back strap. Excellent grip texture.

barrels: both are accurate enough out to 20 yards that if they are deficient I can’t tell during my matches. I had one ported by Floyd’s custom and would recommend it. For @$100 it’s a steal. The  nitride slide has an observable looser fit to barrel but again I don’t see it in the scoring results.

Absolute worse thing about M&P barrels is the peep hole. After just a couple of stages I’m guaranteed to have V-shaped carbon pattern on my optic. If you find an M&P option without, please let me know. 

magwell: I swapped the OEM magwell for 2 Floyd’s  custom brass and the fit in the esp/CO box for IDPA. Adds noticeable weight And another recommend here.

guiderod: I use the Carver Custon tungsten rod with 15lbs spring, I found this the perfect setup of recoil, return to 0, and slide speed for ME. The porting on the one does make a difference. 

trigger: stock was good, Apex was better, kept the Overwatch as best. I preferred OW trigger with less take up and total trigger travel. It also felt a hair wider across the front of shoe. 

I’d buy both again which I guess is the best endorsement I can give.

Thanks for the review and setup tips!

My Compy barrel is finally settling in but not good enough for a match.  I think I'll try the rest of your setup!

What ammo was giving you good results?

Thanks!!

I don’t reload and am not too picky as long as it’s brass.

I usually buy Blazer brass 115 a few thousands rds at a time. 2nd most common for me is Blazer 124. I might prefer the 124 but just slightly with the ported barrel. They’ve also eaten Magtech, Winchester and Federal without issue. reason I prefer the Blazer for these is that it seems to burn a bit cleaner than other bulk ammo. Less carbon “V” on the optics. I think I remember heavy Federal Syntech hitting higher but I’d have to retest to be certain. Come to think of it, I do not recall ever shooting Speer Gold dots (my carry preference) through these two.