Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited optics: Polymer vs Metal grip

lroy

Re Steel vs. Aluminum, I'd think the main reason steel feels softer is solely because it's heavier? Steel is stiffer than aluminum after all so would transmit recoil more in theory, except for the fact that it's heavier. 

Personally, on my pending build I'm going with an aluminum grip and a brass magwell that splits the difference between an aluminum grip and a steel grip. Targeting a 46-48oz gun with empty mag, which is the sweet spot for me for recoil control / transitions

I did some testing recently going back and forth between a 43 oz gun and a 50 oz gun shooting doubles at 15 yards.

Going forward I'm setting up both of my guns to be in the 43 oz range. I actually shot the lighter gun slightly better and add to that walking around all day with a 43 oz gun is way easier on my tired old ass than a 50 oz gun. 

12 hours ago, lroy said:

What's the point of aluminum grips if they transfer more recoil and weigh the same as polymer?

It still weighs more than polymer, maybe by a couple of ounces. Surface traction and ergonomic options aside, there is much bigger discussion about what exactly we are looking for when we discuss "recoil", "performance", energy transfer etc. Somebody else mentioned "simple physics". I bet that physics here is not as simple as people think. 

Mr. Perez above is right, it is really about timers and targets. Practically, I myself have no time to futz around with different grips but I have pretty decent prior experiences with various gun weights.   For me 40 to 45 oz dry weight is optimal for 9mm minor pf with no added benefit to go to 50 oz or above. In 2011 world that means aluminum grip and I honestly don't care how recoil feels. 

Edited by YVK

9 hours ago, YVK said:

It still weighs more than polymer, maybe by a couple of ounces. Surface traction and ergonomic options aside, there is much bigger discussion about what exactly we are looking for when we discuss "recoil", "performance", energy transfer etc. Somebody else mentioned "simple physics". I bet that physics here is not as simple as people think. 

Mr. Perez above is right, it is really about timers and targets. Practically, I myself have no time to futz around with different grips but I have pretty decent prior experiences with various gun weights.   For me 40 to 45 oz dry weight is optimal for 9mm minor pf with no added benefit to go to 50 oz or above. In 2011 world that means aluminum grip and I honestly don't care how recoil feels. 

I agree, that's why my guns have poly grips still. With silicone carbide they're plenty gripey and the guns weight right in that 43-45 oz range which I also like. So I figure why spend 500-600 knowing I wont shoot the gun any better? If I felt I needed 2 more oz's I'd probably just get a steel MSH for $30.

With some of the magwells out today you can even make a poly grip gun weight 50 oz pretty easy if someone thinks that's better. 

3 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

I agree, that's why my guns have poly grips still. With silicone carbide they're plenty gripey and the guns weight right in that 43-45 oz range which I also like.

for 9mm this seems like it should be the sweet spot. I personally much prefer the feel of griptape over a textured metal grip anyway. heavy guns seem to slow everything down. draws, reloads, transitions, everything just feels slightly slower.

31 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

for 9mm this seems like it should be the sweet spot. I personally much prefer the feel of griptape over a textured metal grip anyway. heavy guns seem to slow everything down. draws, reloads, transitions, everything just feels slightly slower.

And maybe I'm just old and weak... But walking around with a 43 oz gun is way easier on my hips and back over the course of a match. 

I know a couple open shooters who's guns are over 50 and they bag between stages partially for that reason. 

4 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

And maybe I'm just old and weak... But walking around with a 43 oz gun is way easier on my hips and back over the course of a match. 

I know a couple open shooters who's guns are over 50 and they bag between stages partially for that reason. 

i am definitely old and weak because i bag my heavy-ass limited gun between stages. It's also because i don't really trust my race holster that much, especially when wearing a heavy coat and bending over to reset steel.