Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loading for Springfield Prodigy

jrguar

On 9/21/2023 at 3:58 PM, jrguar said:

Trying some Blue 147's in my prodigy,  curious about what LOA do you guys think works well.  Am basically to 126-127 PF and currently running 1.130 ...

Inquiring minds want to know ;0 

In my very limited experience the Prodigy is a bit short throated. At least when compared to my 320X5.

5 hours ago, jrguar said:

I ran a bunch of measurements and decided that 1.140 is about where the prodigy likes it, my X5 I can load out to 1.165 or so and no issues so I think we are going to stick to 1.14 for a while...

Joe

Bullet profile plays a huge role in this also. 

I've found RMR JHP have a "fat" ogive and what loaded fine in my X5 at 1.115 needed to be pushed back to around 1.08.

Similar situation with the RMR FMJ; needed to push them in a just a tad; even 1.125 wouldn't pass a plunk test but would load and shoot ok.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, GunBugBit said:

Good to know 1.140 works for the Prodigy.  The loads I use for a PM-9 and a Glock are that length and I’m considering getting a Prodigy.

Follow up to my previous post about the Prodigy being short throated...

I picked up another Prodigy and what do you know but this one is perfectly fine with the same loads that caused problems in Prodigy #1.

Even with the rather fat RMR 124 JHP profile I could load those out to at least 1.125 which is way beyond where you would typically load a 124 JHP for 9mm minor. 

RMR 124 RN were fine at 1.135 which is as long as I've ever cared to load them in any of my 9mm guns.

Other aspects of the two guns are significantly different as well.

Kinda makes me wonder about Springfield manufacturing tolerances and quality checks...

3 hours ago, ddc said:

Follow up to my previous post about the Prodigy being short throated...

I picked up another Prodigy and what do you know but this one is perfectly fine with the same loads that caused problems in Prodigy #1.

Even with the rather fat RMR 124 JHP profile I could load those out to at least 1.125 which is way beyond where you would typically load a 124 JHP for 9mm minor. 

RMR 124 RN were fine at 1.135 which is as long as I've ever cared to load them in any of my 9mm guns.

Other aspects of the two guns are significantly different as well.

Kinda makes me wonder about Springfield manufacturing tolerances and quality checks...

That doesn't surprise me on their QA, I had to take a finish reamer to get my 5" to feed reliably.

3 hours ago, GunBugBit said:

Over-tight chamber is one of my least favorite things.

A sloppy loose one is worse! You can always ream to fit, it’s a bitch welding them up. Of my 6 Springfield variants, there is only around .002” difference in throat depth between same calibers. Yes they are short but I thought that was pretty good for a production firearms. 

Edited by Farmer