Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Your Favorite 1050 Toolhead Set-up

I'm experimenting with my 1050 toolhead die placement and wonder what others are using that's outside the norm. For instance, right now with 40 cal I'm running a universal decapper in station 1, and resizing in station 2 (with the primer pocket swage stuff removed); I thought this might smooth the press operation a little. I also thought of adding a second bullet seating die (right after the powder dump) that would seat very long as a starter to the final seating die. And I heard of someone moving the powder dump to the third to the last station to eliminate spilled powder (his Super cases were almost full). Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

I do the powder-right-before-seating thing, moving the powder throw over one slot to where Dillon suggests putting the powder checker. Cuts down on spillage and the powder checker never worked how I wanted it to anyway.

I have a bright light shining into the cases and call the powder drop before seating the bullet (just like shot calling-- it's wierd how you notice when you didn't see in a case)

Everything else is where it belongs. I tried the double-seat thing for a while but it didn't help as much as I wanted so now I use only a Redding competition die-- that rocks.

In both .40 and 38 Super I use two sizing dies, the first is a standard Lee die with the decapping pin, followed by the Lee Undersize die without the decapping pin. I also use a Lee seating/crimping die adjusted so that it doesn't crimp, followed by the Dillon crimping die. I like the Lee for seating because it's very easy to adjust the OAL.

Nolan

Bill,

I'm running as suggested --- with the primer pocket reaming happening --- and an empty station where the powder checker would go. I control spillage by grabbing the case that gets the bullet before it snicks into position and easing it in, as i look for powder and set the bullet on top......

I also thought of adding a second bullet seating die (right after the powder dump) that would seat very long as a starter to the final seating die. And I heard of someone moving the powder dump to the third to the last station to eliminate spilled powder (his Super cases were almost full). Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

I do that and I like the way it works, I might try what Shred suggested if I ever change the toolhead.

1st up is an EGW U die. Never have crushed cases.

Factory functional crimp swage. I run some Fed NT brass.

Standard priming set up.

Powder drop, with klunk. It works, it's consistant, it doesn't need to be "fixed".

Empty spot.

RCBS seater. Round nose insert swiped from other caliber. .357? Get the bullets in straight.

Dillon crimp.

I do the powder-right-before-seating thing, moving the powder throw over one slot to where Dillon suggests putting the powder checker. Cuts down on spillage and the powder checker never worked how I wanted it to anyway.

I have a bright light shining into the cases and call the powder drop before seating the bullet (just like shot calling-- it's wierd how you notice when you didn't see in a case)

Everything else is where it belongs. I tried the double-seat thing for a while but it didn't help as much as I wanted so now I use only a Redding competition die-- that rocks.

After thinking about it, I thought I'd give it a go. I like this "trick" for super, thanks Shred!