Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feedramp overhangs frame

JayDee

I recently acquired a 2011 as a backup gun from another USPSA shooter. It runs smoothly and feeds my reloads great at 1.15”

while cleaning it after the first couple ranges sessions, I noticed that the bottom edge of the feed ramp overhangs the frame by a tiny bit. After measuring the barrel link, it looks like the PO installed a .283 or .287 link. I think nominal spec is .278”. 

the gun has fed reliably for about 500 rounds and the bullet tip appears to be contacting feed ramp in center. 

looking for advice from those more experienced than I am….

- run it and let sleeping dogs lie? 
- test a shorter barrel link? 
- any other considerations to be aware of? 

it just looks different than my other 19/2011s. 

thanks 

IMG_2035.jpeg

Definitely don't mess with the link!

If it feeds good and is reliable there is no need to mess with it. But if it bothers you too much then file the bottom of the ramp where it overhangs. Right where the flats are. 

A longer link isn't an issue if the rest of the barrel install is done correctly.  And changing the link will have zero impact on the overhang anyway, unless the VIS cut on the frame is way off.  If you have issues with the bullet nose hanging up on the overhang, you can move the bottom surface forward without hurting anything as the top round should be impacting at least half way up the feed ramp, not down on the bottom. 

As others have already expressed, DO NOT monkey with the Barrel Link as a properly fit barrel bottoms out on the FRAME, not the Link. If your barrel is bottoming out on the link when its in the full back and down position, then it was fit incorrectly to start off with.

As for the bottom of the feed ramp overhanging the frame, I always shorten/flatten the bottom of the ramp to make it even with the frame. The bottom of the feed ramp is never used in a properly setup 1911/2011 using the correct OAL ammo. When the bottom of the ramp overhangs the frame it can bash into the leading edge of the magazine tube which in of itself can cause other feeding issues because the rounds are bounding around within the magazine like a maraca. 

Look at the leading edge of your magazine tubes to see if they are getting beat up by the very bottom of the feed ramp. If they are, then you might want to cut back the feed ramp to be flush with the frame.

This feed ramp hanging past the frame situation is alarmingly common on 1911/2011 builds. How well known gunsmiths miss that critical detail is beyond my comprehension. Maybe its because they like their guns coming back due to feeding problems?

Thanks @CHA-LEE  I read one of your posts about testing barrel fit to make sure lock up was with barrel on frame and not relying solely on the link. this pistol passed that test. 

noted re checking out mags. The front that would contact the ramp all appear normal. 

appreciate the guidance.