Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.30 Super Carry? I don't get it. Does anybody load for this?

ysrracer

On 9/8/2023 at 12:09 PM, ysrracer said:

I think the recoil would be more than a .380 but less than a 9mm.

The one I shot on range demonstration day had just slightly less recoil than a 9mm in the same size gun, but more blast and flash.

Ballistics remind me of .30 Luger.

On 9/8/2023 at 2:45 PM, zzt said:

There are more than two guns chambered for 30 super carry.  While researching for a friend, I saw at least five.  Personally, I think it will catch on.

You do get two more rounds in a micro.  That could be meaningful for someone wanting a single stack for concealability.  It is midway between 380 in recoil and energy.  It may bump many up from 380.

I have a friend with semi-crippled hands.  She absolutely cannot rack her husband's Glock 9mm slide.  I suggested she try a Shield 2.0 EZ in 380.  She loved it.  Easy to rack.  Very mild recoil.  Accurate.  "Someone" thinks a 380 may not have enough stopping power and thinks she should go to 9mm.  I disagree.  Racking the slide on an EZ 9mm is harder than 380.  She tried it once and said it was uncomfortable.  I'll have her try it again and see.  Also, I would most definitely not want to get hit with a 380 HST, or Honey badger, or V-Tip.  Ouch!  Although my EDC (which I don't carry) is 9mm, I'd worry about over penetration if I did carry it.  I'd rather have a 380 or 30 SC that only penetrated 12~14".  You do have to worry about where that round will go when it goes through someone.

The Shield 2.0 EZ is available in 30SC.  I'll have her try it.  The extra energy over 380 may cause hubby (who is not a shooter) to drop his 9mm push.

Bullet penetration is based on bullet design far more than caliber.  If you don’t like the 9mm for recoil your not going to like the 30’super carry either. This round in my opinion is a poor option as it’s more expensive and has less terminal performance compared to the 9mm with similar bullets.