Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feedback for oehler 33 chronograph

Used them quite extensively for many years.  They're built well, accurate, reliable, and have been around for a long time.  However, by today's standards they're kinda ancient technology.  You can get chronos with LED lights and bluetooth connectivity, etc. for a couple hundred bucks, if not less.  And those are far easier to setup and use than an Oehler 33.  You also have alternatives like LabRadar (doppler) which are even simpler to setup and use than a conventional chronograph.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m still using my 20+ year old Ohler 35p. 

Yes, I’d like to get a new Lab Radar or similar, but since my Ohler is still going strong and I like the printout capability I have not replaced it.

Depending on the price, it may be a good deal, but some of the newer chronographs have advantages (like not having to shut down the range to set up). 

I used an Oehler extensively back in the late 80's/early 90's.  It was the one with 6 feet spacing between the skyscreens.  I suspect that the large spacing offset any accuracy issues caused by the relatively slow clock speeds of electronics of that era.

As others have said, there is much better nowadays; both compact and extremely accurate.