Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Make your Rival S reliable

partyboy424

I did all the things-springs, reaming service, and henning Rival-S base pads. Still unreliable (rounds hanging on the feed ramp).

Switched to a shorter OAL bullet with a round-nose profile and it my issues are gone. I don't reload, so had to switch the factory ammo I was using that had run reliably with a Glock, Tanfo, Sig P320, and Shadow 2, which was annoying, but the gun runs now.

After all that I'm not even sure if I'll switch, but now I can put an optic on it and give it a fair shake this winter.

I have found with both of my Ss they don't like flat tip ammo.

I have noticed the feed ramp angle is likely the issue.  Round nose ammo, coated and others, work great.

Edited by WxGuy

As someone who was fighting the same issues, I finally got mine running reliably. 
I put in the Glock 16lb recoil spring / rod as well as a 6lb striker spring, had my barrel reamed by Patriot Defense, and put in the stronger ejector spring (cut down since I tried the stock spring and it caused issues). I had a class recently and ran ~700 rounds with 0 issues. This was with 115gr Blazer brass. Next, I’m going to run a bunch of my comp ammo @ around 132pf. I suspect I will need to drop the recoil spring down to 15lb, but we’ll see.

18 hours ago, WxGuy said:

I have found with both of my Ss they don't like flat tip ammo.

I have noticed the feed ramp angle is likely the issue.  Round nose ammo, coated and others, work great.

I agree that it seems to be the feed ramp angle. I have the same issues as well. I have to test my new loads that are 1.1" OAL and see if that helps.

Now both of my Ss are jamming Round Nose rounds into the feed ramp with the the first round and during a run.  All 10 mags are doing the same thing.  I think this might be an ammo issue with longer OALs too.  Have to get out the calipers and check this.  Magazines (old and new) are running Grams, Rune, and stock springs.

The ammo in question is Remington 115g, Winchester 115g, Sellior/Bellot 115g, and Federal 115g.  This whole Canik thing is perplexing and has given me a good reason to look at other guns.  One gun is stock and the other just a Freedomsmith trigger.

I hosted my military unit to a morale event at a local range.  I had to take both of the Canik Ss off the line.  

Edited by WxGuy

2 hours ago, WxGuy said:

Now both of my Ss are jamming Round Nose rounds into the feed ramp with the the first round and during a run.  All 10 mags are doing the same thing.  I think this might be an ammo issue with longer OALs too.  Have to get out the calipers and check this.  Magazines (old and new) are running Grams, Rune, and stock springs.

The ammo in question is Remington 115g, Winchester 115g, Sellior/Bellot 115g, and Federal 115g.  This whole Canik thing is perplexing and has given me a good reason to look at other guns.  One gun is stock and the other just a Freedomsmith trigger.

I hosted my military unit to a morale event at a local range.  I had to take both of the Canik Ss off the line.  

what springs from my initial couple posts are you running in these two guns?

3 hours ago, WxGuy said:

I have the same issue with 124 gr. Federal (whatever the OAL are on those, I think they run long) and reloads of 1.125" OAL. I haven't tested with my 1.1" loads yet.

2 hours ago, partyboy424 said:

what springs from my initial couple posts are you running in these two guns?

Canik reduced recoil spring (blue) and 6lbs striker spring.  I put the calipers on all the mags last night and there wasn't enough of a change there.  All ammo was slightly nose up.  I can always re-install the stock RSA and striker springs.  

My guys yesterday brought their own off the shelf ammo and I usually run 124-147gs in the guns. 

I did pull my PDP 5" barrel and Glock 34 Wilson Combat barrel to look at feed ramps.  Nothing to measure just a looksy.  Wilson has a much nicer ramp than the other two.  To my eye, the PDP and Canik ramp angles are the same BUT the PDP extends past the Canik closer to the magazine and it's enough to be noticeable.  I have no idea how this relates but the PDP ran the problematic ammo just fine.

Edited by WxGuy

• 3 months later...
On 8/24/2023 at 11:17 AM, jsoupene said:

Thanks for sharing all this great info.

I'm having this issue. Tried different mag components. (Gram & mbx followers, henning +4 base pads, mecgar tubes, gram springs, even bought one of the new mbx mags 23/24 rd mag), different bullet profile, different OAL. Running 15lb commander with w74 guide rod but it's nose dived enough and really stuck in there. I don't think it would matter how heavy of recoil spring you had. Usually happens on a fuller mag but doesn't have to be completely full, even happens on half full sometimes Any ideas? Pulling my hair. It's to the point where i can't shoot it at a match anymore. 20230823_193632.thumb.jpg.1f47ee7479a554e9bdc7dc37632405cf.jpg

Flat nose seems to be worse on mine as well however having a FTF once every 60-80 rounds even with round nose ammo.  I have not been able to track it to a specific magazine yet.  Good luck, I’m following this topic for sure. 

Just wanted to share that all my failure to feeds and my rival s sometimes becoming a single shot and rack gun has been cured by replacing all magazine springs to wolf. Now it reliably feeds RMR HP, RMR flat nose and RMR RN. Zero issues after 2.5k + rounds

6 hours ago, pinoybug said:

Just wanted to share that all my failure to feeds and my rival s sometimes becoming a single shot and rack gun has been cured by replacing all magazine springs to wolf. Now it reliably feeds RMR HP, RMR flat nose and RMR RN. Zero issues after 2.5k + rounds

Do you mean these folks? Wolff gun springs at

www.gunsprings.com

• 1 month later...

No I haven’t. What will that do. I tried a Rune Tactical brass rod with the 14 lb spring. The Wolff springs have fixed the ammo getting caught underneath the lip of the feed ramp but now it appears to just go to slide lock randomly. I swear I’m not touching the slide stop but it stops nonetheless. 

5 hours ago, precipice87 said:

No I haven’t. What will that do. I tried a Rune Tactical brass rod with the 14 lb spring. The Wolff springs have fixed the ammo getting caught underneath the lip of the feed ramp but now it appears to just go to slide lock randomly. I swear I’m not touching the slide stop but it stops nonetheless. 

Sorry I may have made that confusing. I was asking just in general from partyboys list of parts that he listed. Try the o rings see if that helps 

On 8/22/2023 at 9:57 PM, partyboy424 said:

Doesn't look like I can edit my original post.   But below is my reliable setup.  I still am planning to post test results at some point.  I just wrote them on paper and haven't had time to put them into a spreadsheet.  Measuring springs won't show much since most my springs are used at this point and they all shrink,  but I've included skus.

If you have a Failure to Feed, Failure to Extract, Out of Battery issue. You can fix it easily with these springs.

Go Here: https://www.gunsprings.com/GLOCK+%C2%AE/cID1/mID5/dID116

Order these:

Sku 50015 (15 pound recoil spring and Guide Rod that comes with a 5.5 striker spring)

Sku 43716 (16 Pound recoil spring comes with 5.5 striker spring)

Sku 43718 (18 Pound recoil spring comes with 5.5 striker spring)

Sku 32248 (3 pack of 6 pound striker springs)

Then go over to here: https://www.gunsprings.com/CZ/75+Series/cID1/mID16/dID91#841

Order this:

Sku 32011 ( Extra power CZ Extractor spring 3 pack) Take a dremel and cut off the top coil (.6mm) (The cut end goes towards the frame)

That's it, Put in the 6 pound striker spring and the CZ extractor spring and that will solve ALL FEEDING ISSUES. Choose a 15-18 recoil spring for preference.

Mag over insertion issue.

Order Henning +4 pads, wait for +0, wait for TF, contact Canik and get updated pads or get two 2.5mm orings and stack them. Found on amazon search this:

uxcell Nitrile Rubber O-Rings 32mm OD 27mm ID 2.5mm Width, Metric Nitrile Rubber Sealing Gasket for Automotive Machine Plumbing, Pack of 10

That's it. Extractor, striker, appropriate recoil spring and mag o-ring or aftermarket basepad. I'm at 100 percent reliability with that combo.

Your using that glock guide rod? The diameter of the end that sits on the barrel is smaller. Does that make a difference?

3 hours ago, ndshooter36 said:

Sorry I may have made that confusing. I was asking just in general from partyboys list of parts that he listed. Try the o rings see if that helps 

Tried the o-rings some time ago. Maybe I’ll try them again. The guy from shooter’s connection said to have Canik look at the mag catch. If it’s too low then it can cause the issues to which I referred. 

Your using that glock guide rod? The diameter of the end that sits on the barrel is smaller. Does that make a difference?

Thanks for the info. 

• 4 weeks later...

Yikes. I may finally order one now that “some” of the bugs are worked out and the initial price gouging hype seems to have died down a little. I haven’t done a Canik deep dive in a while so it might be fun.