Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oversized factory S&W cylinder latch?

matteekay

6 hours ago, matteekay said:

And SDM and TK Custom and Revo-Gear. Alas, I'm trying to game an IDPA rule, so it would have to be direct from Smith.

I had called and tried to get the cylinder release from the model I linked above. You might get lucky and get someone who will sell it to you at smith. The young lady I spoke to was able to find the part number, but said it was a Performance Center item only and could not sell it. That or see if TK will sell you an unbranded one as they look identical.

2 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

I had called and tried to get the cylinder release from the model I linked above. You might get lucky and get someone who will sell it to you at smith. The young lady I spoke to was able to find the part number, but said it was a Performance Center item only and could not sell it. That or see if TK will sell you an unbranded one as they look identical.

I'm willing to bet they're getting them from TK. That's a really good idea, but I can't use anything that extends past the frame. I was hoping there was a slightly bigger, stock profile latch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 10mmdave said:

Such a neat looking gun, why they don't offer it as a 6 shooter will anyone ever know ??

You know Dave I just gave up on why and how these manufacturing decisions are made. S&W make the exact same gun as a 6 shot in the 4" version...... 
https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/l-frame-11759
I went and read the IDPA rules after answering his question. In SSR, the part would have to offered on a factory gun. It does not specify dimensions however. So if someone wanted to argue(Game it) and could get the part from S&W on the above L frames it does meet the wording in the IDPA rulebook for SSR. If you showed up at a match to shoot SSR with the above gun a factory offering would they make you change the cylinder release to compete?
SSR-Cylinder latches may be changed to another factory offering from the firearm manufacturer
In enhanced service revolver it says aftermarket is allowed, but specifies dimensions.
ESR-Cylinder latches may be modified or replaced, but may not protrude past the frame in any direction and may not be thicker than 3 /8" as measured from the side plate of the frame. 
The release Hogue made for the GP100 would also be out for SSR and ESR it would seem.

4 hours ago, Pseudonym said:

SSR-Cylinder latches may be changed to another factory offering from the firearm manufacturer
In enhanced service revolver it says aftermarket is allowed, but specifies dimensions.
ESR-Cylinder latches may be modified or replaced, but may not protrude past the frame in any direction and may not be thicker than 3 /8" as measured from the side plate of the frame. 
The release Hogue made for the GP100 would also be out for SSR and ESR it would seem.

You know what? If you read the rulebook objectively, you're 100% right. It becomes an either/or proposition.

Unfortunately, I don't have any faith in a match director actually doing that, to say nothing of a local SO.